March 7, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220793 4 minutes ago, steven newman said: As for me.....I just putter around, trying to stay busy...and out of the Boss' hair..... Is it working? Report
March 7, 20206 yr comment_220794 Depending upon what part of the country you are in the names used may vary. In Wisconsin Pipefitters are Journeymen Pipefitters, Plumbers are Master Plumbers. Some trades have Certified in the title such as Certified Electronics Technician. Report
March 7, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220796 34 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said: Depending upon what part of the country you are in the names used may vary. In Wisconsin Pipefitters are Journeymen Pipefitters, Plumbers are Master Plumbers. Some trades have Certified in the title such as Certified Electronics Technician. 28 years Report
March 7, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220799 13 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said: 28 years ...I'd have to figure out how many years of each I stated, and add Certified Welder. Glad I'm retired hate to have to keep them all current. My wife asked what does that say on your toolbox, she said it looked like A$$ Certified due to the wear on the plaque. Edited March 7, 20206 yr by Larry Buskirk Report
March 7, 20206 yr comment_220816 Actually, ASE stands for American Society of Automotive Engineers. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220826 1 hour ago, Al B said: Actually, ASE stands for American Society of Automotive Engineers. Have not heard of that one Al, according to the certificate I have on the wall the official name is National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence. But that is current name since at least 30 years ago. It is possible BEFORE they came out it had different names. I do not remember any off the top of my head but for a time they had at least 2 other such automotive service type credentials. Currently ASE is the only one I know about outside Manufacture Training Certifications. When I was at Toyota / Ford / GM / Mazda / Kia we were required to have ASE Master Certifications to get Toyota Master Certification. Something to know about ASE certification. It is a BOOK test only, no practical application skills are tested. So if you are a book worm kinda guy you can take them and pass, but not be able to change oil. And yes I have met quite a few over the years. I have to keep mine current for my work. Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220836 I learned the definition of ASE many years ago, back in the 50's, during my welding apprenticeship. The apprenticeship included a full course of Math( geometry and trig), English, trade theory and metallurgy. I believe it was in the metallurgy class that I was given that definition. That was over 60 years ago, so who knows what changes might have developed. Actually went to MIT for a lecture in the metallurgy of stainless steel. Forgotten most of what I learned, but I do remember the lecture hall was full of people who knew a lot more than I did, based on the questions they asked. Must have been 500 people in the hall. A proud part of my apprenticeship was when I was selected to strike the symbolic first arc for the keel laying ceremonies of the USS Tinosa, a sister ship to the Thresher. Got the honor for graduating highest academically and in welding achievement in my class. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220839 I'd always heard ASE as American Society of Engineers, So I guess I misinformed the wife. At least I got the ASE right. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220840 Looked ASE up on the computer and it appears woodbutcher has identified it according to today's definition. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220843 So I wonder what happened to the old ASE standards applied to bolts, etc.. Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220845 Maybe SAE...instead AARP....American Association of Retired Putterers......? Wonder IF a Certificate could be written up? Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220846 SAE used to be Society of Automotive Engineers. But that might have changed too. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220853 12 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Is there a category for piddling and fiddling? I'm a master in both those areas. Plus, procrastination. If you are a government contractor, there is plenty of room for them. Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220857 Okay I’ll post a reply In Mass a journeyman plumber/electrician can pull permits and perform all plumbing/electrical work. They can only hire 1 apprentice and that’s it. On their vehicles and advertising they can only state their names, and MUST have their Journeymans number listed. A master plumber/electrician license allows you to hire other plumbers/electricians, and apprentices. You may also pull permits. If you have a masters license and also still intend to do actual work in the field, you must keep your Journeymans license current. Report
March 8, 20206 yr comment_220867 A cabinetmaker builds cabinets. A framer builds the frame. A furniture maker builds furniture. A finish carpenter applies trim. A Craftsman usually does specialty custom woodwork, ( bars, gingerbread) repairs to such. And of course as always the level of craftsmanship depends on how long and the skill level of the person Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220869 4 minutes ago, DRAGON1 said: A cabinetmaker builds cabinets. A framer builds the frame. A furniture maker builds furniture. A finish carpenter applies trim. A Craftsman usually does specialty custom woodwork, ( bars, gingerbread) repairs to such. And of course as always the level of craftsmanship depends on how long and the skill level of the person Not sure where I fall into any of those categories, I just butcher the wood and slather some finish on it and call it a day. Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220871 2 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said: Not sure where I fall into any of those categories, I just butcher the wood and slather some finish on it and call it a day. I consider myself a Craftsman. Lots of times I end up customizing something to fit or repairing something damaged. Report
March 8, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_220872 6 minutes ago, Woodbutcherbynight said: Not sure where I fall into any of those categories, I just butcher the wood and slather some finish on it and call it a day. Remember, putty and paint will make it what it ain't. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.