Looking for a good small detailed sander to use on turning projects. I just watched the video Ron Altier post about the whatchamacallit thing. I saw the guy using a small Makita sander that I think would be nice. Does anyone have this or is there something better out there. Not sure what to look for. Is there attachments that would be useful?? Thanks for the suggestions 

John T.

Edited by jttheclockman

That sander Lew posted looks like a good idea. If you are looking at powersanding there are many options. I mostly use a Ridgid Power Max corded and just recently got the PROS random orbit 3 inch from Wood Turners Wonders. It leaves fewer scratches for large surfaces. One sanding problem that you mostly have to get creative on is inside hollowforms and I could write a long story on that.

Also WTW has a angled sander that is supposed to be better with metal gears.

11 hours ago, jttheclockman said:

I see air more than electric. Is there a reason and is one better than the other. Like the idea of VS. Like to be able to use 2" and 3" wheels. 

Air is slower and in random orbit as this one is , less visible scratches. in higher grits air is faster if using a die grinder which is not intended for wood sanding, other than this air is slower.Also some air sanders are loud and hearing protection is needed . For that matter hearing protection for all power sanding is best.

Electric power sanding is just that, power and is something you have to learn to avoid unwanted scratch patterns across grain. Also with power sanding you have to be careful not to sand out details like flattening beads. Usually stop power sanding before the last two grits or stop after the next to last and then go over again with that grit by hand and then hand sand the last grit, remembering to sand with the grain just like flat work if possible.

Now as to the answer to the question which is better? it is a matter of opinion but mostly I prefer electric unless it is a large piece with straight lines when air would be easier.

No the air grinders are not slower. It depends if you have a good air compressor. Air tools will last longer if you are comparing the cheapest air to electric  or the most expensive air to electric...

I use more air grinders than electric grinders. I like the two angle air grinders Harbor freight has for about 20 dollars each and both have 1/4" collet chucks.  and there is three or more air grinder in the 25 dollar range... the two I have I bought about 10 years ago and both are used on ever carving thing I have made.

8 hours ago, jttheclockman said:

Yes going from flat work to turning is different because now you have a spinning object as well as a sander turning. I really need to dig deeper into this. Something variable speed seems needed. Never used air powered tools so will look into this as well. Thanks guys.

Some people use a variable speed electric drill.  I use a electric variable speed right angle drill as I feel it gives me more control.

You can regulate the speed on most all the air power tools....Its a little harder to do on electric power. Some electric power models are trigger regulated but these are mostly high dollar models...Air die grinders are not made for slow speed even though a person can cut the speed back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2020 at 9:56 PM, jttheclockman said:

Thanks Lew I bookmarked this. $143 I have to do some more homework. 

Just picked this up from a Rick Turns video-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XUHA8C/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=rickturns-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000XUHA8C&linkId=ec91ed97d7950af655805013d2525a2e