Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Good morning Patriots.

This small Drill Press was my first machine restoration.

It’s a Globe brand, for the information I have sorted, I believe it was made in Geelong Australia, out of the Dawn factory. (I know I will be corrected) 

Dawn made (vice) etc. I’m not calling them vices, purposely 😉

 

Looking forward to your comments and questions. 

It’s 99% original.

The person I purchaed it from had the handle made. 

I had to purchase a bag of vintage brass split pins, for one pin to hold the flywheel on. 

ThankYou

1E221EE7-7912-48FC-ABAC-B85C7C7A3644.jpeg

2DE02220-D553-4ED9-A509-799AD0771E31.jpeg

2FC10AE3-1C04-448B-B8B7-DFA653D138B5.jpeg

C676DBE0-9C34-4E45-976F-19CD980159BB.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool Tas...Excellent looking job on the restoration. I can't imagine drilling lots of holes with that bit...must be a 1" diameter???

How is the bit retained in the chuck? Is it a Morse taper or taper of some sort?

Were these originally painted or just bare, protected metal?

Actually a pretty high end drill for it's day with the adjustable table.

So what "bug bit you" to begin restoring these types of drills. Do you have others in the works or on the radar?

thanks for sharing this one. Hope @Larry Buskirk sneaks a peek when he has a chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, p_toad said:

Nice!   Like that pair of fence pliers hanging in the one picture...   well, beside all the other neat tools.  :Praise:

OK, I'll concede those to you Pete...I really like the old Stanley?? adjustable bevel square in the first picture by the press flywheel. Course you know how "square" I am?:P

 

That handsaw intrigues me too...trying to figure out how that handle attaches to the blade?

 

The all steel hand brace is pretty cool too. I don't think I've seen an all steel before.

 

The Stanley, boxwood folding rule in the last two pictures caught my eye also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice! 

I like it. :TwoThumbsUp:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:32 AM, p_toad said:

Nice!   Like that pair of fence pliers hanging in the one picture...   well, beside all the other neat tools.  :Praise:

G’day @p_toad 

ThankYou 

Yes the fence pliers have been real handy over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:51 AM, Grandpadave52 said:

Very cool Tas...Excellent looking job on the restoration. I can't imagine drilling lots of holes with that bit...must be a 1" diameter???

How is the bit retained in the chuck? Is it a Morse taper or taper of some sort?

Were these originally painted or just bare, protected metal?

Actually a pretty high end drill for it's day with the adjustable table.

So what "bug bit you" to begin restoring these types of drills. Do you have others in the works or on the radar?

thanks for sharing this one. Hope @Larry Buskirk sneaks a peek when he has a chance.

G’day @Grandpadave52

Sorry to all for the late replies, car accident, not my fault and I’m all ok! 

Thank God for seatbelts and air bags.

 

That drill bit came with the Post bench drill press. I think it’s 20mm 

it’s in place with a normal screw bolt

 

Now I believe this may have been red, I know the Dawn company used this color, When I do a restoration I try to leave a small amount of the original paint, in this case it’s on the underside.

 

Bug, well, my Dad in his day collected antiques, bottles etc. I suppose it’s in the blood. These old tools come up so beautifully with restoration. And lasting, say no more about how long tools of yesteryear lasted.

ThankYou

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 11:55 PM, Larry Buskirk said:

Nice! 

I like it. :TwoThumbsUp:

ThankYou @Larry Buskirk It really is good fun, Restoration 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2018 at 12:00 PM, Grandpadave52 said:

OK, I'll concede those to you Pete...I really like the old Stanley?? adjustable bevel square in the first picture by the press flywheel. Course you know how "square" I am?:P

 

That handsaw intrigues me too...trying to figure out how that handle attaches to the blade?

 

The all steel hand brace is pretty cool too. I don't think I've seen an all steel before.

 

The Stanley, boxwood folding rule in the last two pictures caught my eye also.

😀 the handsaw is attached by 3 flat screws on the opposite side. 

U.S.PAT.7-14-08 on the bevel square. And correct, it is Stanley 😉

I agree about the hand brace, I’ve never seen an all steel one either, it has “Tough” stamped into the handle, just love this one, it was a pretty easy restoration too.

 

Now to the hardest part. Vacation in another country for 2 weeks, What to do with myself, try to relax? I don’t think so haha. I’ll do some antique tool shopping 😉

Take all. And ThankYou 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tas said:

Sorry to all for the late replies, car accident, not my fault and I’m all ok! 

Thank God for seatbelts and air bags.

Sorry to hear but glad you are OK...must have been pretty severe to activate the air bags.

5 minutes ago, Tas said:

U.S.PAT.7-14-08 on the bevel square. And correct, it is Stanley 😉

I agree about the hand brace, I’ve never seen an all steel one either, it has “Tough” stamped into the handle, just love this one, it was a pretty easy restoration too.

 

Now to the hardest part. Vacation in another country for 2 weeks, What to do with myself, try to relax? I don’t think so haha. I’ll do some antique tool shopping 😉

That makes the bevel square 110 years old...amazing isn't it...

The brace is just cool besides being unique...definitely a keeper.

As far as the holiday goes...ENJOY IT especially after the accident...of course shopping for tools helps you don't need helps. :P at least that's my story.:lol:

Check back in after the vacation...be careful if you're driving.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 9:19 PM, Cal said:

Glad to hear that y'all are ok Taz.  Where will you vacation at?

Hi @Cal 

ThankYou kindly.

Bali, Indonesia. More affordable than holidaying in Aus 😉 We like to spend our money there, because they are less privileged. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tas said:

Bali, Indonesia. More affordable than holidaying in Aus

Seen & heard it is quite beautiful along the coastal areas there and surrounding islands.

Lot of ancient history to see as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2018 at 8:07 AM, Grandpadave52 said:

Sorry to hear but glad you are OK...must have been pretty severe to activate the air bags.

That makes the bevel square 110 years old...amazing isn't it...

The brace is just cool besides being unique...definitely a keeper.

As far as the holiday goes...ENJOY IT especially after the accident...of course shopping for tools helps you don't need helps. :P at least that's my story.:lol:

Check back in after the vacation...be careful if you're driving.;)

Hi @Grandpadave52

It wasn’t too bad, my crash cam showed me doing 62kph probably 55kph on impact. Felt like dodgem cars. Unfortunately my car was a write off. Driver had no insurance, he paid me $4k cash. It’s just been hectic trying to find another car, doc appointments paperwork etc etc.

    You know I had to look twice, the bevel square, truthfully I didn’t realize the numbers until you mentioned it, due to the US having the month first and the date secondly. We have date first and month in the middle. 

But it’s great owning something slightly older than me 😉

And a very Happy New Year to All.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tas said:

Driver had no insurance, he paid me $4k cash.

Well at least you got something...here, long court battle, uninsured motorist would lose license if he/she had one, maybe some jail time and a fine they likely would never pay.

Still glad you weren't seriously hurt.

1 hour ago, Tas said:

But it’s great owning something slightly older than me

Know what you mean,:lol:

1 hour ago, Tas said:

And a very Happy New Year to All.

and right back at you...since you're already there, how does 2019 look to be shaping up so far?:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Well at least you got something...here, long court battle, uninsured motorist would lose license if he/she had one, maybe some jail time and a fine they likely would never pay.

Still glad you weren't seriously hurt.

Know what you mean,:lol:

and right back at you...since you're already there, how does 2019 look to be shaping up so far?:P

Ahh that’s right, Insurance is compulsory in the US. Not here. We pay registration, covers third party injury only. 

2019, well this is on my work bench, (pictured) should I start on it haha? 

I’d like to clean up some of the old tools hanging on the shed walls, plus other tools I haven’t got to yet.

A2FABD8F-3B07-4676-863C-1DA3E2B71221.jpeg

1C89B9E0-2D56-4986-9D6E-E4683F9B2890.jpeg

7823D020-F70B-4487-8791-759CD9B100B3.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tas said:

should I start on it haha?

Maybe after Holiday, but I'm just being selfish needing something to read as we progress further into winter.:P Pretty cool though with a massive flywheel.

7 minutes ago, Tas said:

I’d like to clean up some of the old tools hanging on the shed walls, plus other tools I haven’t got to yet.

Always a challenge here too especially with the humidity and no climate controlled work area. You can share any of those tool re-furbs too; always enjoyed and appreciated.

 

I stumbled onto this video yesterday...thought you might enjoy it too.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/explaining-a-post-drill-006302/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Maybe after Holiday, but I'm just being selfish needing something to read as we progress further into winter.:P Pretty cool though with a massive flywheel.

Always a challenge here too especially with the humidity and no climate controlled work area. You can share any of those tool re-furbs too; always enjoyed and appreciated.

 

I stumbled onto this video yesterday...thought you might enjoy it too.

https://www.wwgoa.com/video/explaining-a-post-drill-006302/

Wow thanks Dave, great video.

1850’s he reckons, I’m not convinced, but really don’t know. I’m still researching the Buffalo it’s tough going 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Who We Are

Operation Ward 57 Challenge Coin Display Project

We are a woodworking community with an emphasis on sharing and learning the skilled craft of woodworking and all of its related disciplines. Our community is open to everyone who wishes to join us. We support our American veterans and active duty, being a veteran is not a prerequisite to join. Join us now!

Objective

Air Force Command Center Plaque

Of course just like most online woodworking communities we are centralized in the arts, crafts, and trades that are woodworking. But, we have another focus in our Patriot Woodworker community, we are the only woodworking community that was founded on our care and concern for our disabled veterans.

Volunteer

Patriot Woodworker Volunteers

The Patriot Woodworkers are an all volunteer community, from the staff and hosts who run our online woodworking community to the members who frequent our forums, you'll find volunteers in all of us. We are not on a payroll, unless you consider the spiritual rewards gained from volunteering, as compensation.

Education

Logging

One of the many projects we are working on is a wiki for our online community. A wiki is a great way for woodworkers and enthusiasts to share their knowledge to others, and to impart their knowledge for others to learn from, and utilize as well for their own benefit. We hope you'll consider being a wiki contributor.

×