Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
John Morris

Painting Rough Sawn Lumber (Rollers)

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

I have used serrated foam rollers before in rough lumber,seemed to work. Didn't find any small ones like you want though mine was 10"X3 1/2" diam.

 

Looks like they did a good job flashing the stucco over the ledger to keep it from rotting out.

That is quite a project you have taken on.

 

You might check the latest code on balcony railings, the ones you demo'ed were out of code. and if you ever sell it will be a bonus ,you won't have to upgrade them. Also here I would have to get a permit w/Engrd stamped plans submitted to rebuild my deck. Too many have collapsed in the past,and they passed regulations to that effect.

Herb

Edited by Dadio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dadio said:

Also here I would have to get a permit w/Engrd stamped plans submitted to rebuild my deck.

 

the get around the engineer's stamp in many places is do not to attach the deck to the structure...

but you still need to be code compliant...

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Stick486 said:

FASH burn the rough saw w/ a weed burner on low and then scrub it w/ a dry scrub or wire brush...

vacuum before painting...

there was another reason for these in the yesteryear...

Thanks Stick! Would that kill the rough sawn texture? We want to keep the rough look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Stick! Would that kill the rough sawn texture? We want to keep the rough look.

Actually, the more I think about it, the burn would just get rid of the pesky small fibers that are clogging the rollers, but leave behind the rough texture, yep, this would work. Could just use a regular plumbers torch that I have. Just quickly skim the surface before painting, then run a stiff broom over it all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Thanks Stick! Would that kill the rough sawn texture? We want to keep the rough look.

 

meant to say FLASH burn...

if you cook it it it will remove the rough saw...

a flash burn quickly done only takes care of the loose and fine fibers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dadio said: You might check the latest code on balcony railings, the ones you demo'ed were out of code. and if you ever sell it will be a bonus ,you won't have to upgrade them. Also here I would have to get a permit w/Engrd stamped plans submitted to rebuild my deck. Too many have collapsed in the past,and they passed regulations to that effect.

 

Herb, the balusters on the original looks to have had pretty wide spacing.  Is that what you are referring to, or is there another issue there?  Just curious,

Cal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Actually, the more I think about it, the burn would just get rid of the pesky small fibers that are clogging the rollers, but leave behind the rough texture, yep, this would work. Could just use a regular plumbers torch that I have. Just quickly skim the surface before painting, then run a stiff broom over it all?

 

Get @Smallpatch to send you a weed torch and you won't even have to bend over.  Rumor has it he has extras.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I done took the extras to the Abilene HD even though we ordered them online. The store was kinda puzzled for us bringing them back to them even though we only ordered one and paid for one!!! I said hey, I'm just saving you a little freight!!!!

   I don't see how a torch would do away with the ruff saw marks unless you stand there with your finger up your.... and burn the boards completely up... 

  Would the code okay the design if you installed 4x4's in a few places against the house so it would be a free standing structure that happens to be attached. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, clhyer said:

@Dadio said: You might check the latest code on balcony railings, the ones you demo'ed were out of code. and if you ever sell it will be a bonus ,you won't have to upgrade them. Also here I would have to get a permit w/Engrd stamped plans submitted to rebuild my deck. Too many have collapsed in the past,and they passed regulations to that effect.

 

Herb, the balusters on the original looks to have had pretty wide spacing.  Is that what you are referring to, or is there another issue there?  Just curious,

Cal

Yes, that is mainly what I was seeing, also I think the supporting beam is over spanned and I am seeing a slight downward deflection , might just be the camera angle,but there are span requirements also for the outboard posts and beams. The code is pretty strict on the supporting structure and railings and stairs these days. It used to be where there was not much attention to details, and a lot of latitude was allowed, but now even the real estate agents pick up on this fast.

I had a deck off the MBR similar to Johns and it had a stair coming off for an emergency exit for the upstairs and when i sold the house after I retired I had to redo the railing on the deck and the stairs before I could list it.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not too worried about code, the VA inspector came and gave the home a good once over, I told them I was going to rebuild it "in-kind" the way it was, and he was pretty happy with it, stated once it's done, take a picture of it, he'll sign it off and the loan will go through, objective achieved.

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and feedback guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2017 at 4:28 PM, Dadio said:

You might check the latest code on balcony railings, the ones you demo'ed were out of code.

@Dadio based on your observations, it prompted me to check codes and sure nuff, the old railing was out of code. Code states for a balcony use case the railing needs to be between 38" and 42" high with spindle spacing no greater than 4".

The spindle spacing on the rail was around 6" and the old rail was 36" high.

We went with the max height of 42" and set our spindles at 4" spacing.

I appreciate your prowess and experience and great eye, thanks again Herb, I feel better knowing we are within code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you checked that ,John, it will save you any head aches in the future. We had a few  neighbors who would call the building dept. everytime they saw you in the backyard with a hammer and saw. And sometimes a knock on the door by a code compliance officer wanting to know if you were building something and handing you forms to fill out in case you were. we were required to submit plans to the Home Owners assoc. any time we changed the appearance of anything on our property.  Even if we had a permit to build it, the HOA could over rule the permit. Numerous cases went into court over that and the HOA always won.

Herb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...