Did y'all see this ? ? ? ? ?

5 minutes ago, Dadio said:

Are you a McCoy,Dave?

Well I'm not a "Hatfield" so....IDK? I had an Great-Uncle who would have passed for Amos McCoy (Walter Brennan)...overalls, farm, chickens and all. Except I think he had a WC & WD Allis Chalmers instead of a Ford 8N/9N. They even had an old wall mounted crank telephone until the late 1960's when they sold the farm and moved to town.

4 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Well I'm not a "Hatfield" so....IDK? I had an Great-Uncle who would have passed for Amos McCoy (Walter Brennan)...overalls, farm, chickens and all. Except I think he had a WC & WD Allis Chalmers instead of a Ford 8N/9N. They even had an old wall mounted crank telephone until the late 1960's when they sold the farm and moved to town.

Sounds exactly like my Dad.:P

Herb

10 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Sounds like where I grew up, except for the chickens.  We even had those, until my grandparents passed away.

We did have a WC on the farm.  I swear, that thing would pop the front wheels off the ground pointing downhill if the rpm was anything above an idle!  And brakes - non-exisistant...

We also had crank phones up till about 1970.

Cal

My granparents had a crank phone until 1959. Kerosene lanterns for light. Had a 5 lantern chandelier above the dining room table. Big pot bellied stove for heat. Wood fired cook stove in the kitchen. In the winter many lambs, piglets and kittens spent their first few days of life behind that stove.

We lived in town. 1200 souls, 23 dogs and a garden rake. Our phone had a cradle but, no dial. Pick up the hand set and ask the operator (Vera) for the number. Our number was 180. Most often, you'd just ask for the person you were calling. 

My dad was a Standard Oil bulk agent. Delivered to the farmers and heating oil for homes. We'd get lots of calls for him. If he wasn't home, I'd take the message and call Vera and ask if she'd seen him. Often, she could look out her window and see his truck. So I'd call the business he was parked at and pass on the message. 

Ahh, the memories.

Yep those good old crank phones and all the old biddies listening into get the scoop on the neighbors. We had the Farmall tractor and later the Ford 8n, and my dad got his moneys worth out of both. A wood cook stove and an old oil heater in the parlor . Oil heat was the latest and greatest, didn't have to chop wood. we had one ceiling light in each room and 2 duplex outlets. The bath tub was also the wash tub and the little house behind the house was the c....pper, w/Sears and Roebuck catalogs.

Herb