March 20, 20179 yr comment_103165 26 minutes ago, DRAGON1 said: The dust collector is an older model Coral. Italian made. Already replaced and spinning just fine. A 2x6x3/4 piece of poplar got shoved from the floor crap into it during a cleanup. Thankfully nothing hurt or damaged except the impeller. How big of motor is on that one,by the look of the shaft hole it must be 5-10hp? Herb Report
March 20, 20179 yr comment_103167 I know this is a big dust collector. Just wondering if a dust separator before the impeller might have been able to prevent this from happening. Report
March 21, 20179 yr Author comment_103193 3 hours ago, It Was Al B said: I know this is a big dust collector. Just wondering if a dust separator before the impeller might have been able to prevent this from happening. The culprit would have just stopped the piece and allowed the pipe to clog ( major hassle) if there was a separator before the impeller. Best is to not let floor scraps INTO the system. Report
March 21, 20179 yr Author comment_103194 4 hours ago, Dadio said: How big of motor is on that one,by the look of the shaft hole it must be 5-10hp? Herb Yeah it's big. 5 horses strong. Report
March 21, 20179 yr Author comment_103195 4 hours ago, Stick486 said: you feed your floor sweepings to the DC??? We try NOT to, lol Report
March 21, 20179 yr comment_103201 Hey Mike, that's shrapnel. Hate that it trashed it but glad you survived. Was there an underwear change involved? Report
March 21, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_103208 Mine is a Griz and has a cross hatch screen in front of the impeller. I would suggest a little reverse engineering to avoid future heart attack. Report
March 21, 20179 yr comment_103239 14 hours ago, DRAGON1 said: The culprit would have just stopped the piece and allowed the pipe to clog ( major hassle) if there was a separator before the impeller. What am I missing. I don't understand this. Report
March 22, 20179 yr Author comment_103348 23 hours ago, Gene Howe said: What am I missing. I don't understand this. The run of pipe and 20 ft long. A crosshatch screen in front of it allows sawdust to build up and eventually clog the pipe. The system has planer, jointer, sliding crosscut, band saw and tablesaw all hooked up in basement. Not enough cfm's to withstand ANY kind of blockage. Even a sliver of wood starts a pileup. Sawdust flows OK though. Gates in the basement would be a pita. Report
March 22, 20179 yr comment_103353 Seems that cross thatched screens at the points of entry could prevent this from happening without causing any clogs. That's an expensive repair. Report
March 22, 20179 yr comment_103364 2 hours ago, It Was Al B said: Seems that cross thatched screens at the points of entry could prevent this from happening without causing any clogs. That's an expensive repair. They sure cut down air flow fast though. Herb Report
March 23, 20179 yr comment_103408 Still don't understand why a simple trash can separator wouldn't work. Unless all piping is over head. Report
March 23, 20179 yr comment_103412 Man that is a mess. That is some kind of suction to pull that all the way in. Glad ad no one was hurt. Even at 500.00 it is cheaper than body parts. Report
March 23, 20179 yr comment_103485 17 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Still don't understand why a simple trash can separator wouldn't work. Unless all piping is over head. Mike,Dragon1, seems to indicate this is a commercial installation that can not be altered. My first DC system was like this where the fan was pulling on the main duct and exhausting into the cyclone and everything went through the fan. I had plastic, cleaning rags chunks of wood screws etc, hit the fan. never had a problem other than a ping now and then. When I built my current DC system , I installed the cyclone inlet directly on the main duct from the shop, and the fan inlet on the outlet of the cyclone. Sort of the vacuum cleaner principle. The incoming air flow dumps all the debris before the air hits the fan. The fan blows into the filers, not the cyclone like before. I accidentally sucked a can of 3-in-1 oil into the DC and it ended up in the dust bin not going through the fan. Herb Edited March 23, 20179 yr by Dadio Report
March 23, 20179 yr comment_103495 Herb, that's how I set mine up. My impeller is directed outside and the separator is connected to the impeller unit by a 3' pipe. Report
March 24, 20179 yr comment_103551 9 hours ago, Dadio said: Mike,Dragon1, seems to indicate this is a commercial installation that can not be altered. My first DC system was like this where the fan was pulling on the main duct and exhausting into the cyclone and everything went through the fan. I had plastic, cleaning rags chunks of wood screws etc, hit the fan. never had a problem other than a ping now and then. When I built my current DC system , I installed the cyclone inlet directly on the main duct from the shop, and the fan inlet on the outlet of the cyclone. Sort of the vacuum cleaner principle. The incoming air flow dumps all the debris before the air hits the fan. The fan blows into the filers, not the cyclone like before. I accidentally sucked a can of 3-in-1 oil into the DC and it ended up in the dust bin not going through the fan. Herb I have mine setup like yours Report
March 24, 20179 yr comment_103554 10 hours ago, Dadio said: I accidentally sucked a can of 3-in-1 oil into the DC and it ended up in the dust bin not going through the fan. bet yur glad it wasn't a can of WD... Report
March 28, 20179 yr Author comment_104037 On 3/22/2017 at 8:36 PM, Gene Howe said: Still don't understand why a simple trash can separator wouldn't work. Unless all piping is over head. yes it is overhead in the basement. comes in the top of the collector Report
March 28, 20179 yr comment_104047 9 hours ago, DRAGON1 said: yes it is overhead in the basement. comes in the top of the collector Aha. I see, now. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.