AndrewB

Hello From WA state

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, AndrewB said:

So because it is a small lathe and Id have to actually move the belt to change the speeds

Both my lathes are this way, never have upgraded to Variable Speed Motors and such.  Good turning can be done with the basics. 

Watch for @lew's weekly turning post on Wednesdays.  LOTS of good stuff for all levels and his video selection has been fantastic.  Have learned alot from just those.

@Gunny  I haven't quite figured out how to exactly change the belt speed just as of yet I still have to build a different table for the lathe, for right now its sitting on what its sitting just because of ease of just getting started.  How ever the downside to its location is the simple fact that the belt access is not easy to get to where its sitting, since I am only working out of a little carport shed.  Not a ton of space.  @Cal  I usually prefer to buy brand new rather than used that way I know for sure what I am getting.  I usually do the same thing with my gaming rig when I buy parts for it.

3 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I haven't quite figured out how to exactly change the belt speed just as of yet I still have to build a different table for the lathe, for right now its sitting on what its sitting just because of ease of just getting started.

Maybe @Larry Buskirk can give some ideas on this.  Post a picture of your current set up as is.  In Iraq we didn't have much access to tools.  When I needed a lathe we used a cordless drill and a makeshift set up.  Was not pretty but I worked with what I had available.  :D

5 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Not a ton of space. 

Oh I feel ya on that one.  I have plenty of stuff I would like to have and zero room for expansion.  Basically I want a 10,000 square foot shop to eliminate this pesky need more room issue.  :ROFL:

7 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

I usually prefer to buy brand new rather than used that way I know for sure what I am getting. 

True, sometimes.  But as an example I got this 12 inch Grizzly disc sander for $100 used.  Plus the guy was happy I spoke Russian and we could do the deal in his language so he threw in the extra sandpaper disc for free.   I got started 30 years ago with all hand me down or its broke so I got it and fixed it stuff.  A good amount of those pieces of equipment are still with me today, and working well.  

1330782915_12inchgrizzly.jpg.ca164c934dd2b1ace14a3d037220986e.jpg

4 minutes ago, AndrewB said:

Although I have a little 2x48 inch belt sander with a disc sander on it so I'm pretty sure that could be useful.

Oh yeah, have an old craftsman like that myself.  Love that thing.  Had to make a holder to keep the disc table steady and have DC but hey some time and effort and you have something very useful.  You just have to be creative.  :TwoThumbsUp:I paint or finish all my stuff but this is NOT required.  It doesn't have to be pretty, just work.  :D

Depends upon what you are looking for.

I'm into the 1930's Delta stuff myself.

A lot of the old machines had attachments for doing more than 1 job.

There were disc sanding tables that were a lathe attachment, etc.

I got this Drill Press from "Curb Shopping"

And this Planer.