August 15, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_156733 I had posted photos of old tools at the boat shop in old tools in the past. I thought you might like to look at the old building from within. Photo #1 & 2 show the stone wall at the front of the building going up to street level. Also notice the beams on the ceiling above. 3 and 4 show what was the paint room. The paint on the floor is estimated to be 2" thick. Also see the paint on the timber in the wall where the paint bucket was kept. The paint on the floor is about 6" deep there. Painters were paid 16 cents a boat so there was an incentive to paint fast with little concern about cleaning up. #5 is a plane and old wooden clamp placed in a partially built model of a boat. 6 + 7 pictures the overhead beams and wide floor boards and the post at the staircase going to the main floor. The staircase is very steep and narrow. #8,9,and 10 again showing the construction beams , this time in the ceiling above the main floor. I still haven't taken photos in the upper floor. also notice the accumulation of finish on the floors. Edited August 15, 20188 yr by It Was Al B Report
August 15, 20188 yr comment_156738 if my plans hold up, my shop, which was completed 3 years ago, will still be in use by somebody 100 years from now. perhaps a little messier, maybe more full of tools and projects and supplies. but it won't be some museum that no one uses anymore. Report
August 15, 20188 yr Author Popular Post comment_156742 The building is still being used to build boats Doug. Obviously the demand isn't what it used to be, but still enough to keep building. Some are built for the tall ships. One was recently built for the USS Constitution. It's also used for educational purposes. High School and college students from all over learn how to build a boat, and then get to put it in the river to row it. Racing events happen regularly. The students are also taught how to navigate using a sextant. A lot of work consists of repairs for private owners. Obviously, as a museum there are many volunteers who help, but there are several people on the payroll who are building boats and teaching. I was offered the opportunity, but as yet, I haven't been able to. Cardboard boat racing is done every year. A really fun event. Edited August 15, 20188 yr by It Was Al B Report
August 15, 20188 yr comment_156743 Thanks for sharing with us Al. I really enjoyed the pictures and never would have suspected they are still building boats today. Glad to hear that. Report
August 15, 20188 yr Author comment_156744 There were 5 new boats being built when I visited as well as 2 being repaired for customers. Some of the boats are as long as 30' to as small as 12'. Report
August 15, 20188 yr comment_156747 Why am I guessing lead-based paint... Good thing this isn't California. Report
August 15, 20188 yr comment_156750 Interesting. Next month, hand-made replicas of the Nina and Pinta (Columbus' ships) will be on display down on the Ohio River. I plan to get a tour. https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/2018/08/10/nina-and-pinta-returning-newport-tours/948759002/ Report
August 15, 20188 yr comment_156754 I toured Capt.Cooks replica when it came to Puget Sound, made in Australia. That was an experience I will never forget. I remember the crew was tar from head to feet. not much headroom below decks ,the marines only had 4' headroom in their quarters, and the officers quarters were so small some had to sleep with their feet sticking out a window. Keith you will enjoy that. Herb Report
August 16, 20188 yr comment_156818 Great tour Al. It is mind boggling that building is 225+ years old and only a few years younger than our nation. While the historians/tour guides can re-tell some of the history, if that old building could talk, what stories it could share. Thanks for taking the time to take the pictures & to share here. Great reminder of our nation's heritage. Report
August 16, 20188 yr comment_156824 Thanks so much Al. What a wonderful pictorial. I already showed y'all the Craft in America episode that features this shop right? And Al is correct @DAB, that shop is still in operation. Building boats and training future builders, a fantastic preservation! Report
August 16, 20188 yr Author comment_156839 Thanks. I do remember the Craft in America post John. It was part of a public TV program. All of the students who come here, put in extra study time from their normal classes. While boat building is the primary purpose, they also learn navigation, boat handling, and find real a purpose for math. They also get to enjoy other functions like cardboard boat racing in the fall, They participate along with anyone else who can build a cardboard boat to float the longest time in a race. Dave, Some work is planned in the near future to reinforce or replace the foundation of the building. At least on the waterfront side. Over the many years the high tides have caused some concern about the stability . With the tides running even higher these days the water is speeding up the erosion. I had planned to take more photos, hopefully on the top floor, but the battery ran out on my camera. Maybe sometime in the future. Report
August 17, 20188 yr comment_156864 Al, I assume this facility is listed as a National Historic Landmark. If not it should be...it would help them obtain grant money and funding to help preserve the heritage. I really do enjoy the posts and pictures you share from your visits there. I find it fascinating. Really enjoyed @John Morris post of the video a while back too. Unfortunately, probably as close as I'll to the place. It's been nearly 50 years since I was last in Boston and your general area and has been 50 years since the first visit. Both times, I did get to tour the U.S.S. Constitution which was a special treat. Report
August 17, 20188 yr Author comment_156868 It is listed as a National Historic Landmark Dave. The Constitution recently underwent a complete overhaul . It spent considerable time in drydock. Report
August 17, 20188 yr Popular Post comment_156872 6 minutes ago, It Was Al B said: It is listed as a National Historic Landmark Dave. Good to know...it certainly should be...what a lesson those kids get who are lucky enough to participate in the various programs offered. I hope they realize it and continue to pass it forward. 8 minutes ago, It Was Al B said: The Constitution recently underwent a complete overhaul . It spent considerable time in drydock. I knew it had been under-going extension repair. There is a "Hoosier" connection to the on-going support as well as the work too. It has made the news locally a few times. A little dated, but the harvest had to precede the actual dry dock and repairs to allow for special handling, processing and drying of the timbers. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=66594 This article appeared in one of our monthly Electric Co-Op magazines. http://www.electricconsumer.org/ironsides-of-indiana-oak/ https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-market-trends/woodworking-industry-news/custom-woodworking-news/Navy-Harvests-White-Oak-for-USS-Constitution-Repairs-261380301.html About midway down in this article. http://www.inwoodlands.org/ask-the-steward-summer-2017/ Report
August 18, 20188 yr Author comment_156928 It makes you wonder how the ship can float with all that timber. I never though about where the lumber came from Dave. Thanks for the information. A lot more planning ahead than most would think. Report
August 18, 20188 yr comment_156930 Thanks for the info Grandpadave. Another way to keep ants out of hummingbird feeder is tie bay leaves to the pole. Report
August 22, 20188 yr Author comment_157441 An article in yesterdays newspaper about the Lowell Boat Shop . They have received $200,000 in grants but have to raise another $200,000 in matching funds for the upcoming work. One of the first events is a big "Pig Roast" this Saturday. $65.00 per person. Work to be performed on the supporting foundation and on the roof. Report
August 22, 20188 yr comment_157446 54 minutes ago, It Was Al B said: An article in yesterdays newspaper about the Lowell Boat Shop . They have received $200,000 in grants but have to raise another $200,000 in matching funds for the upcoming work. One of the first events is a big "Pig Roast" this Saturday. $65.00 per person. Work to be performed on the supporting foundation and on the roof. When you get into major renovations, 400k is not that much these days. Heck, a politician here spends 1M to get elected to a Port Commission job that pays $1.00/year. Just saying, Herb Report
August 23, 20188 yr comment_157505 On 8/16/2018 at 11:43 PM, Grandpadave52 said: Good to know...it certainly should be...what a lesson those kids get who are lucky enough to participate in the various programs offered. I hope they realize it and continue to pass it forward. I knew it had been under-going extension repair. There is a "Hoosier" connection to the on-going support as well as the work too. It has made the news locally a few times. A little dated, but the harvest had to precede the actual dry dock and repairs to allow for special handling, processing and drying of the timbers. http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=66594 This article appeared in one of our monthly Electric Co-Op magazines. http://www.electricconsumer.org/ironsides-of-indiana-oak/ https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood-market-trends/woodworking-industry-news/custom-woodworking-news/Navy-Harvests-White-Oak-for-USS-Constitution-Repairs-261380301.html About midway down in this article. http://www.inwoodlands.org/ask-the-steward-summer-2017/ Great articles @Grandpadave52 I just got back last week from visiting my brother in Boston. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to visit the Constitution. I have rarely missed a visit to the ship and the wood shop before this trip. Everyone should see this historic gem, at least once in their life. It truly gives you a unique perspective on a lot of levels. I really was surprise at the model of the sidewall structure, shown in one of the articles. I don't ever recall seeing anything like that at the ships dock/museum. Looking at the ship you would never guess the huge thickness of the sides. Seeing the ship for the first time visitor is a shock. You expect this HUGE hulking ship and here is this "relatively" small wooding ship. How the ships compliment functioned in the close and cramped confines of the ships interior is a wonder. Again, thanks for the articles. They provide comfort knowing that the USS Constitution will live on for many more decades...a true symbol of American heritage and pride. Report
August 24, 20188 yr comment_157553 Bill piqued my interest and while look for the crew compliment I found the Wiki.USS Constitution Forgot to tell you the compliment was 60 officers and men. Edited August 24, 20188 yr by Gerald Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.