September 8, 201610 yr comment_72778 trying to turn a table's column, ala Shaker Night stand. Awaiting the glue to cure up. No real rush, the lathe is buried back there, behind the 4x4s......Big piece is walnut, slats are cherry....we'll see how this goes...hopefully NOT flying.... Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72781 Careful now. You're liable to get hooked on turning and throw those planes in the scrap metal bin. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72783 That's going to make an interesting column! Have created your one cell Sketchup idea for the legs/feet? Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72785 Ok, I am not a turner, so you guys are going to have fill me in, what the heck is going on here? Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72791 6 minutes ago, John Morris said: Ok, I am not a turner, so you guys are going to have fill me in, what the heck is going on here? Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72796 6 minutes ago, John Morris said: But why sandwich the timber between two boards? It will make an interesting pattern when turned and maybe Steve needs a larger diameter post than would be available with just the single piece. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72798 1 minute ago, lew said: It will make an interesting pattern when turned and maybe Steve needs a larger diameter post than would be available with just the single piece. Thanks for the clarification, I guess where my confusion is, if Steve turns a diameter down to the lumber in between the two boards, the two outer boards will be completely removed by the time he reaches the center piece would it not? Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72805 36 minutes ago, John Morris said: But why sandwich the timber between two boards? For this to work the timber in the middle has to thinner than it is wide. Say 3"X4" as an example. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72806 1 minute ago, HandyDan said: For this to work the timber in the middle has to thinner than it is wide. Say 3"X4" as an example. At this point, I see a rough square, meaning the outer boards will be turned away. But then perspective can be deceiving in a photo. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72807 Maybe we better let Steve explain his thoughts. I can see a couple of scenarios. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72808 1 minute ago, John Morris said: At this point, I see a rough square, meaning the outer boards will be turned away. But then perspective can be deceiving in a photo. I agree totally and hope the photo in deceiving us or Steve has other plans. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72809 Just now, HandyDan said: I agree totally and hope the photo in deceiving us or Steve has other plans. Steve seems to always come through with a surprise, but if he does have an "Oh crud" moment on this one, he seems to always make lemonade from lemons in that basement shop of his. Seen it done before. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72810 2 minutes ago, lew said: Maybe we better let Steve explain his thoughts. I can see a couple of scenarios. I am sure he'll have a wonderful Irish comeback Lew! Maybe even a couple Gaelic expletives if he sees what we are seeing. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72811 1 minute ago, John Morris said: I am sure he'll have a wonderful Irish comeback Lew! Maybe even a couple Gaelic expletives if he sees what we are seeing. IF??????? You mean WHEN! Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72814 2 minutes ago, lew said: IF??????? You mean WHEN! Yes, WHEN! Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72817 It's a bit concerning. I'm wondering if Steve remembers how to plug in a tool. Report
September 8, 201610 yr comment_72823 Having two woods in a turning give bits of each when turned so it will have a pattern revealed. In this case the cherry will be lighter to start and as it ages will eventually be darker than the walnut. I too am anxious to see the results. Report
September 8, 201610 yr Author comment_72824 Might take a day or two, to uncover the lathe....need to cut the legs, and use them for the bottom inset. May wind up with a thin "accent" strip on two sides of the column, where it flairs out a bit. Then we'll see how the legs fit with the strips..... Need to square the ends, and find a center point. As for running a lathe.. That be the lathe I use... I do have a center finder.. Ever try turning legs out of old pine? Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.