Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Guys, I am sorry for bringing these oldies back up to the top, but some of them are really fun and inspirational, this is a cool little project you can do if you don't have a lathe, and you really get the hankerin to make a bowl, of some sort.

No need to apologize John...all is new to me...Your creativity and piece is very nice, BUT gotta tell ya' your wife's bowl is what made it...:D

The bowl colors after fired are spectacular...I love the color contrasts...your fun creation just enhanced her creativity even more.

I hope she has stayed with her pottery work...most excellent.

On 2/9/2017 at 9:44 PM, John Morris said:

Hey Haro, I just remembered, I used the same wheel I was using to dish out my chair seats for my rockers at the time. The company is called Kutzall, I was using the dish wheel.

John, what grit was the disk you used for this. I see the Kutzall disks are available in fine, medium course and very course. Would you recommend using various grits.

Just now, It Was Al B said:

John, what grit was the disk you used for this. I see the Kutzall disks are available in fine, medium course and very course. Would you recommend using various grits.

Hey Al, I used the Med Course, for just regular shaping of wood that is all you'd need, and you can finish it up starting with 60 grit and work your way through the grits.

23 hours ago, Grandpadave52 said:

No need to apologize John...all is new to me...Your creativity and piece is very nice, BUT gotta tell ya' your wife's bowl is what made it...:D

The bowl colors after fired are spectacular...I love the color contrasts...your fun creation just enhanced her creativity even more.

I hope she has stayed with her pottery work...most excellent.

Her bowl did make it! Without it, well, it's just a chunk of wood with a divett. Sadly she does not create pottery items anymore, she came down with some bad arthritis in her hands the past few years, and she cannot stand the force of a clay and trying to manipulate it. She is an artist though, she has not given up on her creativity, she loves water color and she is quite good! Now, how do I incorporate her water colors into a wood project?

On 2/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Gerald said:

Hey would make a cool chip & dip with the dip in a small bowl beside the first. I do have lathes but also have 2 sizes of Arbortech which would make this a cake walk. Now if only someone in family liked pottery making.

The Arbortechs are the ticket Gerald! Nice tools. Chips and dip, heck ya!

2 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Now, how do I incorporate her water colors into a wood project?

Sorry to hear about her arthritis John...pretty young to be afflicted...I can empathize for sure...

As for incorporating her water colors, @Smallpatch can give you some pointers I bet...not only from his own projects but from some of his wife's stained glass work too. Many similarities.