Is this a CRAZY notion?

SQ

ning-stackedbowlringsinteriorshot500-417I have always made my bowls by cutting out the rings on the scroll saw.  Gluing up the rings (except the bottom which is added later) and turning the bowl upside down, sanding the interior of the bowl on the tilting spindle sander. Once that is completed, I glue on the bottom and then sand the exterior of the bowl with the tilting spindle sander.

My crazy notion is to cut out the rings as usual on the scroll saw, glue up the rings including the bottom and finishing the entire bowl on the wood lathe.    

Here is a picture of what the rings look like when first cut out.  Second picture is when they are stacked.  Using a trigonometry equation and cutting angle chart from Carole Rothman's book creates rings that align really well.  These rings have not been sanded at all. 

When the rings are stacked together, the center is already removed which I'm thinking should result in less work and less weight on the lathe.  I just need to smooth out the interior and the exterior of the bowls - not hollow the bowls out.  

Question # 1:   I use Titebond III glue for all my glue ups.  Would this glue be strong enough when turning this on the lathe?

Question # 2:   Anyone have any knowledge about the Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe 16 x 43.  I love make bowls 12" to 15" inches in diameter.  My planer is 15 inches.  So I'm thinking a 16 inch would be the ideal size.  Granted this is a cheap machine, but do you think it would be capable of doing what I intend to do.  Any comments about this machine would be appreciated.  Link with more info on this machine:  http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=wood+lathe&gs_upl=2250l5666l0l6177l26l13l0l0l0l0l430l3756l2-1.4.5l12l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18030709427141508269&sa=X&ei=41xKTs7eM4vfgQfYp_Ry&ved=0CH0Q8wIwAA

Quetions #3:  Think this is a viable way to finish the bowl?  I'm thinking it might be labor saving and the symmetry would be more controlled.

Any and all comments would be appreciated.

SQ

It it can't be fixed with glue and sawdust - it's not worth fixing.

I have all the confidence in the world using that glue.  Normally the wood may break before the glue fails.

As far as turning the segmented form on the lathe, I think you will grow to love it. Much simpler and easier in all regards. Turning, sanding finishing etc.

Sorry about #2 and the lathe, but I have zero knowledge regarding that lathe.  I have a Jet mini and A Nova XP DVR and love it to death.

Leo in AZ.

Actually, this is a very common way to make a bowl. Using various woods and alternating woods during the glue up will create the most interesting patterns and designs.

Check out Sam Shakouri's work in the gallery at http://www.macarthurwoodturners.org.au/

Tightbond II or III will work fine. I use II for the rolling pins.

As for your lathe appears to have plenty of power to do this. Because you are starting with a lot of the material already removed, the lathe will not have to work as hard. Keep in mind, however, the larger the diameter of the bowl, the easier it will be to load down the lathe- especially when working at the outer edges. Sharp tools will help lessen this effect.

Looking forward to seeing your finished stuff.

Lew

Many turners make bowls just like you describe.  Google Bowl From A Board.  Some turners cut the rings using a thin parting tool.  Others do as you and cut the rings on the scroll saw.  Segmented turners make intricate designs by gluing different colors of woods together to make their rings. 

One caution. Kiln dried wood is much harder on tools than green wood.  Keep them sharp and use good tool presentation techniques and all PPE.

Titebond is the go to glue for segmenters.  Just follow good shop practice and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and well clamped.

I am not any help on the lathe you mention.  Shop Fox is part of the Grizzly tool company.  Grizzly lathes have a middle of the road reputation.  Good customer service but lower end performance.  Even with all the mass removed from a bowl from a board you are still spinning a large chunk of wood.  Make sure the lathe you decide on is heavy enough that  it won't "walk" away from you.

Appreciate comments.  Wasn't sure if they used a different glue.  I have plenty of TB III laying around the shop.  Glad to hear I don't have to purchase any specialty glue.  Thanks for the tip about keeping tools sharp.  I need to learn how to hold tools and what tool to use to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve.  I can't wait to get started.  We have a 12 x 36 very inexpensive lathe here in the shop.  Thinking I will give this a whirl on some smaller bowls.  Plan to give it a try this weekend.  You have been a huge help.  

SQ

Leo Pedersen said:

I have all the confidence in the world using that glue.  Normally the wood may break before the glue fails.

As far as turning the segmented form on the lathe, I think you will grow to love it. Much simpler and easier in all regards. Turning, sanding finishing etc.

Sorry about #2 and the lathe, but I have zero knowledge regarding that lathe.  I have a Jet mini and A Nova XP DVR and love it to death.

Leo in AZ.

I don't know where I have been all this time.  Didn't realize this technique was being used by those that turn.  I checked out Sam's working - wow.  If I can figure out what tool to use and how to hold it, I think this will accomplish what I've been trying to do.  Thanks for your comments.  

Lewis Kauffman said:

Actually, this is a very common way to make a bowl. Using various woods and alternating woods during the

glue up will create the most interesting patterns and designs.

Check out Sam Shakouri's work in the gallery at http://www.macarthurwoodturners.org.au/

Tightbond II or III will work fine. I use II for the rolling pins.

As for your lathe appears to have plenty of power to do this. Because you are starting with a lot of the material already removed, the lathe will not have to work as hard. Keep in mind, however, the larger the diameter of the bowl, the easier it will be to load down the lathe- especially when working at the outer edges. Sharp tools will help lessen this effect.

Looking forward to seeing your finished stuff.

Lew

I've been thinking about trying some bowls like that myself.  I looked at some videos I think I saw on here that a woman was doing that put different colored shapes into the finished bowls using the scroll saw.  The only problem I see in going to the lathe for sanding is getting the thing centered good so it isn't wobbling too much. 

For doing the bigger size bowls, if you got a lathe where you could use an outboard faceplate (I think that's what its called) you'd be turning off the left side of the headstock, so there wouldn't be any bed underneath to limit your size.  With that set up you could be spinning bowls with 24" diameter.  Of course at that size the surface speed would be incredible so you'd need a way to slow it some, but size wouldn't be a factor anymore.

Might I suggest if you do not have much experience on the lathe that you check around your area for a turning club. They can be of great assistance in giving you training and/or suggestions.  One can certainly damage the product and may be injury quite easily with lack of experience.  Sharp tools are a must, but sharp they are very dangerous.  Face shields are a must also. Short or tucked hair, no long sleeves , tucked in shirt or blouse etc. Please be safe.

Leo in AZ.
SQ said:

Appreciate comments.  Wasn't sure if they used a different glue.  I have plenty of TB III laying around the shop.  Glad to hear I don't have to purchase any specialty glue.  Thanks for the tip about keeping tools sharp.  I need to learn how to hold tools and what tool to use to accomplish what I'm trying to achieve.  I can't wait to get started.  We have a 12 x 36 very inexpensive lathe here in the shop.  Thinking I will give this a whirl on some smaller bowls.  Plan to give it a try this weekend.  You have been a huge help.  

SQ

Leo Pedersen said:

I know there are expert turners who will tell you that you will need a myriad of tools. For your first attempts, get yourself a heavy bowl scraper. Here is a link to an example: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005160/4113/Extra-HeavyDuty-Scraper-1-Bowl.aspx. Because your bowl will already have its' shape, this type of tool will give you nice results.

When buying lathe bowl tools, don't skimp. These tools need to be "beefy-er" than regular turning tools because they are usually used in a position that puts the cutting point quite a distance from the tool rest, compared to spindle turning.

Lew

SQ said:

I don't know where I have been all this time.  Didn't realize this technique was being used by those that turn.  I checked out Sam's working - wow.  If I can figure out what tool to use and how to hold it, I think this will accomplish what I've been trying to do.  Thanks for your comments.  

Lewis Kauffman said:

Thanks everyone for all your comments and tips.  Hubby has experience with turning, so he is going to help me get started this weekend.  Planed and laminated a bunch of random maple boards for the first bowl. Not real concerned about the pattern at this point. I plan to plane and then cut out the bowl pattern and get it glued up tomorrow night so I can turn my first bowl Saturday morning.  Wish me luck.  :)

SQ

SQ,

If you are like some of us we don't show our first bowl.   I made three of them in Jr. High 1954/5 in Oregon way back in 8th grade.  I still have all of them. My dear mother saw to it that they were well taken care of.   I went many years without turning again, but about 10 years ago I got back into it.  Pens, bowls, goblets you name it.  I have a Jet Mini and a Nova XP DVR. I don't think I will be needing any more turning things. I don't say that to SWMBO, so keep it quite.  Please.

Have fun on Saturday.

Leo in AZ.

You Got It!! Slow and easy!

SQ said:

Thanks everyone for all your comments and tips.  Hubby has experience with turning, so he is going to help me get started this weekend.  Planed and laminated a bunch of random maple boards for the first bowl. Not real concerned about the pattern at this point. I plan to plane and then cut out the bowl pattern and get it glued up tomorrow night so I can turn my first bowl Saturday morning.  Wish me luck.  :)

SQ

LOL  Don't worry I will be slow and easy.  I will have the resident expert with me, and he will show me the ropes on how to turn a bowl.

I'm a glutton for punishment - so stay tuned for the first bowl.  If it looks horrible - we will all enjoy a good laugh.  Sticking sharp objects into a turnig bowl is definitely intimidating! 

SQ

Lewis Kauffman said:

You Got It!! Slow and easy!

SQ said:

I am pleased to report I found a lathe on cragislist Friday night which will accommodate bowls up to 13 !2/ inches in diameter on the inboard, and up to 18 1/2 inches in diameter on the outboard -  which we bought on Saturday morning.  It's a Grizzly G1495.  Seller said he bought it about 6 years ago and used it for one project, and it's been collecting dust ever since.  Lathe came with everything currently being offered by the company with one exception - the inboard tool rest doesn't swing. Seems Grizzly has made some improvements on the inboard tool rest and is now offering a swing tool rest with the current model.  I plan to contact the company Monday to order a face plate for the outboard and see if the swing arm inboard tool rest will fit on this model, which I'm sure it will.  

Due to the restrictions on the inboard tool rest and no face plate for the outbourd, yet I currently am only able to do the interior of a bowl safely.  This current tool rest doesn't allow me to reach the side of the bowl.  So I have been practicing how to turn using some old, ugly, primitive bowls I made when I first started making scrolled bowls.  These bowls were too ugly to give away or sell, but for whatever reason I have kept them.  With this lathe, these reject bowls will be turned and used for practice. Husband gave me instructions on how to turn and set me loose to practice.

This bowl again from the reject pile was not glued up well and had a horrible shape.  Wish I had taken a before and after picture.  Using the turning tools, improved the shape of the bowl.  This is so much easier than finishing them on a tilting spindle sander which I have always done.  I am hooked on turning!  Plan to glue up a few more bowls today, and do some more practicing. 

This bowl is 11 inches in diameter.  Made from maple and walnut.  This is far from perfect due to the glue up which was done before I made a bowl press, and far from perfect do my limited turning experience, but I can already see that turning these bowls will definately improve the finished product.

Here are pictures of my new baby and the reject bowl I practiced on. ning-11inchprimitivemaplewalnutbowl-4180 I just love turning. I have found my new passion!  

SQning-newbabywithviewofbowl-41807-88.jpg

SQ

OK, I'm officially jealous!

SQ said:

I am pleased to report I found a lathe on cragislist Friday night which will accommodate bowls up to 13 !2/ inches in diameter on the inboard, and up to 18 1/2 inches in diameter on the outboard -  which we bought on Saturday morning.  It's a Grizzly G1495.  Seller said he bought it about 6 years ago and used it for one project, and it's been collecting dust ever since.  Lathe came with everything currently being offered by the company with one exception - the inboard tool rest doesn't swing. Seems Grizzly has made some improvements on the inboard tool rest and is now offering a swing tool rest with the current model.  I plan to contact the company Monday to order a face plate for the outboard and see if the swing arm inboard tool rest will fit on this model, which I'm sure it will.  

Due to the restrictions on the inboard tool rest and no face plate for the outbourd, yet I currently am only able to do the interior of a bowl safely.  This current tool rest doesn't allow me to reach the side of the bowl.  So I have been practicing how to turn using some old, ugly, primitive bowls I made when I first started making scrolled bowls.  These bowls were too ugly to give away or sell, but for whatever reason I have kept them.  With this lathe, these reject bowls will be turned and used for practice. Husband gave me instructions on how to turn and set me loose to practice.

This bowl again from the reject pile was not glued up well and had a horrible shape.  Wish I had taken a before and after picture.  Using the turning tools, improved the shape of the bowl.  This is so much easier than finishing them on a tilting spindle sander which I have always done.  I am hooked on turning!  Plan to glue up a few more bowls today, and do some more practicing. 

This bowl is 11 inches in diameter.  Made from maple and walnut.  This is far from perfect due to the glue up which was done before I made a bowl press, and far from perfect do my limited turning experience, but I can already see that turning these bowls will definately improve the finished product.

Here are pictures of my new baby and the reject bowl I practiced on. ning-11inchprimitivemaplewalnutbowl-4180 I just love turning. I have found my new passion!  

SQning-newbabywithviewofbowl-41806-32.jpg

SQ

LOL  Lewis,

I have been hoping for a lathe to appear on craigslist that would accomodate 12 to 15 inch diameter bowls.  I was so tickled when this machine appeared for sale Friday night.  I could hardly sleep Friday night.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on this machine.  lol  

I have a few parts to buy for it, but I think I got a really good deal.  Seller even throw in some turning tools and other items.  A couple of them per my husband were really good turning tools. Seller also lives very close to where we live.  Not only did we buy the lathe, but met a really talented woodworker in our immediate area who is currently building a boat.  He even invited us to his boat turning party in Sept.  :)  

Off to the shop (our double car garage) to do some more practicing.  

SQ

Lewis Kauffman said:

OK, I'm officially jealous!

SQ said:

Susie

Congrats on your find and latest acquisition.  Happy to hear you are thrilled with it. Thanks for posting and the pics. Like Lew said, I too am officially jealous now. 41.gif

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

Thanks Wayne,

Well I was incorrect about the swing tool being available on this machine as standard equipment.  Seems I was looking at a different model.  None the less, the outboard will serve me well.  The tool rest for the outboard will reach the interior and exterior of the bowls, so problem solved.  Just have to get the parts needed from Grizzly so I can use the outboard.  

While I'm waiting for the parts for the outboard, I will be turning interiors only on the inboard. Once parts arrive, I can go back and do the exteriors of the bowls.  

SQ

Wayne Mahler said:

Susie

Congrats on your find and latest acquisition.  Happy to hear you are thrilled with it. Thanks for posting and the pics. Like Lew said, I too am officially jealous now. 41.gif

Wayne Mahler
God bless and protect our troops that serve so we can be free.

SQ,

Here is an accessories you can make to help you with your bowl turning.

This is a self centering reverse chuck that can hold your bowls so you can finish the outside of the bowl without using the outboard configuration- great for smaller work.

ning-dsc01244-41802-1.jpgning-dsc01245-41802-60.jpgA Great website for turning- also checkout their newsletter.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=14

Lew

That is a really great idea.  Are there plans for this?  I think this is just what I need. 

I agree that site is a good one.  I saved it to my favorites.  

Have you seen this guy?  This project is amazing.

http://woodworkstuff.net/OxBowl2.html

SQ

Lewis Kauffman said:

SQ,

Here is an accessories you can make to help you with your bowl turning.

This is a self centering reverse chuck that can hold your bowls so you can finish the outside of the bowl without using the outboard configuration- great for smaller work.

ning-dsc01244-41801-75.jpgning-dsc01245-41801-98.jpgA Great website for turning- also checkout their newsletter.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_projects.php?catid=14

Lew

Archived