January 16, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_281370 A while back I bought a nice old Craftsman TS with a Cast Iron top and wings from my small engine repair guy for $50. I brought home and it wouldn't rip anything without bogging down and only a fair job of cross cutting. I took the motor off and had it checked and remounted it adding a Link Belt. Better but still not good. The old fence was impossible to use and always wanted to toe into the back side of the blade, so I replaced it with a new Vega Fence. I like it, it mounted on the old saw easily with just a couple simple modifications. Better but still lacking. When all else fails seek your answer on Youtube. I found it where I should have started and should have remember in a video on setting up your TS. Turns out the back of the blade was just over a 16th" toed into the fence. The adjustment requires loosening 5 of the 6 bolts, make an adjustment and retightening them. I tried a couple time and got it closer and it was cutting better but I knew I could get it closer. I ordered an "A-Line-it" dial. I raised the blade and took my first measurement, while rotating the blade 180˚ the blade stopped. NOW WHAT?!? Looking inside I could see the lug on the pulley with the set screw was hitting the underside of the table. I removed the set screw to find that it was not touching the Arbor and the pulley needed to come off and the pulley rotated. The pulley won't come off and even if it had most likely I wouldn't be able to seat it correctly. The Cradle had to come out. I remove the motor, took off the stand and finally got it out. I reversed the pulley, secured it to the arbor, and put the cardle back in. With the legs off it was a lot easier to work the 6 bolt for the alignment and in two tries had it almost perfectly aligned with closer tolerances than the video said were acceptable. I put the saw back together, set the fence and ripped a piece of 1x pine and the motor didn't bog down, so I found an old piece of Beech that was around 1 3/4" and ran that thru not bogging, no burns. At this point if figured I've gone this far with the rehab and upgrade I might as well go all the way and ordered a Incra 1000HD miter gauge. Now the only thing I missing is a Riving Knife, Back to YouTube. This time found these little beauties https://www.microjig.com/products/steelpro-thin They haven't come in yet and with them I ordered a pair of zero clearance inserts which also haven't come in. I now have about $700 into the saw but looking at new saws that comparable I'm still well under the price. Thanks for reading, it was a fun rebuild, and now looking at a pair of old Craftsman jointers for my next project that will keep me from having to do any real WW'n. Report
January 16, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_281382 Lots of work but well worth it! Looks surprisingly like my Bridgewood saw. I have a similar Vega fence. one thing I found with my saw is that when tilting the blade, the weight of the motor causes the rear of the blade to shift slightly towards the fence because of play in the trunnion gear. Report
January 16, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_281384 Had one like her . Wife bought me the Sears fence with a round mounting rail. that helped and I put the link belt on also. I built a cabinet on wheels for mine . Report
January 16, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_281397 Nice work on the rehab. Lot of tear down but you now know your saw. Report
January 16, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_281426 @Gerald I like the draws, I've been thinking about something like that when I get the saw out of the basement again and back into the barn Report
January 16, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_281428 @lew I saw that in one of the videos, how to checked for it and make the adjustments. I'm not going there right now. When I need to make an angle cut I'll deal with that. Right now I'm going to enjoy with the current setup. Report
January 31, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_282959 The saw is done. I installed the MJ SPLITTER Steel Pro https://www.microjig.com/products/steelpro-thin Report
February 3, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283138 Missed seeing this @frenchwwr. Looks good.. What are your thoughts thus far? Report
February 3, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_283144 So far so good. I think they'll add safety when I rip pallet wood, there's usually a bit of twist in it, but I haven't run any thru it yet. Report
February 3, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283146 Nice looking fence and rail upgrade on the Ole Craftsman. Is it a Vega? Report
February 3, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283162 Nice restore @frenchwwr However using a link belt with die-cast pullies tends to wear the pullies out. DAMHIKT Report
February 3, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283199 I had this splitter on my old Craftsman and it worked well, but those thin pegs do seem too thin as I broke one of the guides and stopped using it . Report
February 3, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_283201 That was my thought when they arrived, but lacking other options on this saw especially when cutting pallet wood they will provide a modicum of safety that I will not count on. I will work with them next week, had the hernia surgery today. Oxy and table saws don't mix Thanks Gerald Report
February 3, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283202 5 minutes ago, frenchwwr said: I will work with them next week, had the hernia surgery today. Oxy and table saws don't mix Prayers for a quick recovery. Best to stay far away from the shop for a while. It'll be there when you're ready. Report
February 3, 20224 yr Author Popular Post comment_283208 I have a four week window to do some hand tool sharpening and reading due to lifting restrictions not Oxy. The lifting restriction for four weeks is going to be the worst part of this. I don't want to get used to laying around. Report
February 4, 20224 yr Popular Post comment_283221 2 hours ago, frenchwwr said: The lifting restriction for four weeks is going to be the worst part of this. I don't want to get used to laying around. BTDT, still living some of it...ain't fun. Take care. Report
July 30, 20224 yr comment_295519 I've been thinking about getting a Vega fence also, but first I need to take care of the stand. I can easily build one out of wood but I'm wondering if there is a cast iron one that will work or something very substantial that would work. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.