June 19, 20206 yr Author comment_232647 1 hour ago, Gene Howe said: I built a 24" round one out of 3/4" solid red oak for our dining table. It's the two layer type. It probably weighs close to 15 lb. Don't need no magnets for that! I am going with chance favors the prepared mind. Okay better to overkill it. Made a 24 inch square board last night and mounted to a lazy susan. It seemed to stay in place with 4 gallons of paint. Probably ok to just make it as is. Have to edge band the plywood tonight. Edited June 19, 20206 yr by Gunny Report
June 19, 20206 yr comment_232666 Exactly what would the mags stick to on a wood bench, anywho? Were you planning to clad the top? Report
June 19, 20206 yr Author comment_232667 2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Exactly what would the mags stick to on a wood bench, anywho? Were you planning to clad the top? I have plenty of 1 inch flat steel. Was thinking route a channel for a bar in the top and screw it down. But having tested the 24 in sq set up last night I see no real need. Will be better than current set up. Report
June 21, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_232895 All the parts are done finishing so I put the jigsaw puzzle together. Still working on the lazy susan for the top. Currently it is in clamps getting some edge banding. Dry fit. Report
June 21, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_232908 3 hours ago, Gerald said: Good looking bench Thanks. Used my new Woodriver #4 handplane to smooth down the edge banding flush to the plywood. That was something new to try. I did the underside first, you know the side nobody will EVER see. Beveled the edges of the top with my Woodriver block plane. Now that I had done before so this went smoothly. That is probably about the limit for my wrist and arm pins for this week. They aren't on fire but they are reminding me they are not happy. Report
June 22, 20206 yr comment_232959 1 hour ago, Cal said: Looks mighty nice. Will it have casters? Ditto on the mighty nice. Locking casters maybe? Ya don't want to be chasing it with a spray rig. Report
June 22, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_232961 4 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Ditto on the mighty nice. Locking casters maybe? Ya don't want to be chasing it with a spray rig. For the time being no casters. Like you said no chasing it all over. I did design it with adding casters just in case. At 24 in x 36 in it is not that heavy I can't move it. I have no plans to use it for anything but finish work. Or so I think today. Report
June 22, 20206 yr Popular Post comment_232964 4 minutes ago, Gunny said: For the time being no casters. Like you said no chasing it all over. I did design it with adding casters just in case. At 24 in x 36 in it is not that heavy I can't move it. I have no plans to use it for anything but finish work. Or so I think today. Every flat space is, or soon will be, multi purpose. Report
June 24, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_233114 Lazy Susan for the bench is complete. Did not attach it, can be picked up and stored when not needed. Bought some painters points and we are operational. Now on to a drying rack. Report
June 24, 20206 yr comment_233119 That is a very fine table. When I worked for a couple years in a paint shop, our table tops turned. My only question is: Is there a way to lock down the lazy susan so it won't turn? I am thinking of a couple holes that align the top and bottom, with a rod that extends to the edge of the table so you can either push it in to lock it in place or pull out so it will spin. That would be pretty slick. Report
June 24, 20206 yr Author comment_233122 40 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said: I am thinking of a couple holes that align the top and bottom, with a rod that extends to the edge of the table so you can either push it in to lock it in place or pull out so it will spin. That would be pretty slick. Good idea, will work on that in the morning. Report
June 24, 20206 yr comment_233124 I kind of figured you would fabricate something. Can hardly wait to see it. Report
June 24, 20206 yr comment_233187 I would not let paint and globs of other stuff get on any of those beautiful surfaces. please cover with 1/8" hard board! Report
June 24, 20206 yr Author comment_233190 21 minutes ago, Michael Thuman said: I would not let paint and globs of other stuff get on any of those beautiful surfaces. please cover with 1/8" hard board! Good point. My friends wife is making a slip cover for the lazy susan and a cover for the bench. Traded out a ceiling fan I had extra and installation for them. Till then I have some cardboard to use. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.