Picture goes in to the finishing dept

Smallpatch

Gerald I thought I had too many red feathers up near the top so I changed four feathers to white.

I meant to post the close up of a bottle but forgot to add it yesterday.IMG_1912.JPG.8357e083208100872dc8f3c1821edfbd.JPG

I like to experiment with new paints for a while before I would suggest them to anyone.... I like to use the air brush but since most of the bottles have the metallic in there I didn't know if they were small enough to go through the small holes in the air brush. Even though the paint is acrylic water base I like to see if it will work with lacquer thinner, and yes it did.IMG_1908.JPG.2d95e1e216d6a9158e7267f0cb9c550a.JPG

and then in about ten minutes after that I sprayed clear lacquer on the samples..the metal flakes are not showing up much but they are sure coming out with the paint... 

If you use an air brush be sure to use a respirator for that might be mean stuff in your lungs.

I did have to crank the air up past the regular 20 to 30 lbs to about 60 or so to get the mixture to come out...then at first it was coming out in spurts...The paint in the bottle is kinda thick about right for brushing it on but I like the effect the air brush can give it. A two ounce bottle is about 1.50.

India ink or that type is more potent but also way higher but should last longer.. For this rooster I chose to use a brush instead of having to clean out the air brush for that many different colors like I used on the first rooster..

42 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

For this rooster I chose to use a brush instead of having to clean out the air brush for that many different colors like I used on the first rooster..

A good idea, who wants to spend that much time cleaning out the airbrush.  Oh, wait, my apprentice can do that...… :Laughing:

Something that might help is a method  Jimmy Clewes uses on alcohol base stains (dye). After applying the stain by blotting on then it is blended with a light mist of alcohol. Maybe using the solvent of your choice to do very light mist would even out a brush on coat to look more like airbrush. It works but not totally like airbrush and feathers out the jagged edges.

Tony, it's about time you showed up!!!!!!!!! I thought for sure you fell in to one of those surprises ………. in the ground...

I think if I set him outside you might be able to hear him all the way to Florida.....

How have you been and why and where????? That's a multi sentence if you didn't notice.

Nope. Don't need condo six feet under.... LOL

Spend time working at m,id school cafe feeding stuidents. Lots of fun.

Butanagemewnt was horible. So I left and fully retired in Feb 2018.

Two weeks ago I was in head-on collision. Her fault.

Nothing brpoken, thank God.

Car was totaled so I got newer model. Sonata Limited.

Now I am going to doctors and therapy to fix my left shoulder.

Next project is to fix my bench drill press. Old Sears model like 50+ year old.

Once that is done I have few clocks in mind.

How aboput you? What's been going on in your neck of wood?

Cheers,

Tony

On 3/29/2019 at 5:34 PM, Smallpatch said:

Gerald I thought I had too many red feathers up near the top so I changed four feathers to white.

I meant to post the close up of a bottle but forgot to add it yesterday.IMG_1912.JPG.8357e083208100872dc8f3c1821edfbd.JPG

I like to experiment with new paints for a while before I would suggest them to anyone.... I like to use the air brush but since most of the bottles have the metallic in there I didn't know if they were small enough to go through the small holes in the air brush. Even though the paint is acrylic water base I like to see if it will work with lacquer thinner, and yes it did.IMG_1908.JPG.2d95e1e216d6a9158e7267f0cb9c550a.JPG

and then in about ten minutes after that I sprayed clear lacquer on the samples..the metal flakes are not showing up much but they are sure coming out with the paint... 

If you use an air brush be sure to use a respirator for that might be mean stuff in your lungs.

I did have to crank the air up past the regular 20 to 30 lbs to about 60 or so to get the mixture to come out...then at first it was coming out in spurts...The paint in the bottle is kinda thick about right for brushing it on but I like the effect the air brush can give it. A two ounce bottle is about 1.50.

India ink or that type is more potent but also way higher but should last longer.. For this rooster I chose to use a brush instead of having to clean out the air brush for that many different colors like I used on the first rooster..

Jess I think that is one of your best pieces, if that is possible.

Herb