Rate this topic

I have always kept small plastic bottles of mineral spirits and alcohol for quick use.  I always thought it would be nice to have one for acetone and lacquer thinner but knew they ate some plastic.  Looked into it today and found plastic bottles made with HDPE plastic would do fine but the better choice would be bottles made with PTFE plastic for the acetone but no information was given for lacquer thinner.  Ant plastic experts out there? 

Lacquer thinner is usually a mixture of solvents able to dissolve a number of different resins or plastics used in modern lacquer.

Previously, lacquer thinners frequently contained alkyl esters like butyl or amyl acetate, ketones like acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene, ethers such as glycol cellosolves, and/or alcohols.

Modern lacquer thinners increasingly have to comply with low-VOC regulations. These formulations are often mostly acetone with small quantities of aromatic solvent.

solvent_compatibility.jpg.20b95eef8d3f55c470eccf9718849381.jpg

Edited by Stick486

@Stick486  There are plenty of those charts out there and they all seem to be different.  This one gives HDPE an okay for acetone and neither mentions lacquer thinner.

https://www.plasticsintl.com/chemical-resistance-chart

Edited by HandyDan

2 hours ago, Roly said:

Does any manufacture package lacquer thinner in plastic ?   I have only seen in metal cans.    Roly

not that I know of...

4 hours ago, HandyDan said:

neither mentions lacquer thinner.

'cause...

Lacquer thinner is usually a mixture of solvents able to dissolve a number of different resins or plastics used in modern lacquer.

Previously, lacquer thinners frequently contained alkyl esters like butyl or amyl acetate, ketones like acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, aromatic hydrocarbons like toluene, ethers such as glycol cellosolves, and/or alcohols.

Modern lacquer thinners increasingly have to comply with low-VOC regulations. These formulations are often mostly acetone with small quantities of aromatic solvent.

Coors has a beer in a metal can with a screw top.  Have a six pack, enjoy an evening and rinse out.  Perfect for small jobs. 

Don't like beer?  Share with neighbor.   :)

have you considered a Sure Shot???...

found your bottles...

StockDescriptionCatalog Pg.Price

4 oz./125mL Nalgene™ FEP Wide Mouth Bottle made with Teflon®* Resin

Save 5%2+$106.46/Each

Save 10%4+$100.86/Each

Save 15%12+$95.26/Each

P-25

$112.07/Each

In Stock

8 oz./250mL Nalgene™ FEP Wide Mouth Bottle made with Teflon®* Resin

Save 5%2+$164.58/Each

Save 10%4+$155.92/Each

Save 15%12+$147.26/Each

P-25

$173.25/Each

In Stock

16 oz./500mL Nalgene™ FEP Wide Mouth Bottle made with Teflon®* Resin

Save 5%2+$205.04/Each

Save 10%4+$194.25/Each

Save 15%12+$183.46/Each

P-25

$215.84/Each

In Stock

32 oz./1000mL Nalgene™ FEP Wide Mouth Bottle made with Teflon®* Resin

Save 5%2+$291.97/Each

Save 10%4+$276.60/Each

Save 15%12+$261.23/Each

P-25

$307.34/Each

In Stock

11 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Coors has a beer in a metal can with a screw top.  Have a six pack, enjoy an evening and rinse out.  Perfect for small jobs. 

Don't like beer?  Share with neighbor.   :)

Now, if Fosters only had the same can design....ya know, for those bigger jobs.:throbbinghead:

I use my VA pill bottles for lacquer stain mixings and I guess they don't leak or else not while I'm using them. Sitting on the shelf maybe so? It would be better if they were clear instead of white!

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

found your bottles...

Cheaper too!!  Can get individuals @ $2.25  or 6 packs @ $7.99.  13march1.jpg.ee086d989c803498f2ec546af809f5da.jpg

25 minutes ago, Smallpatch said:

I use my VA pill bottles for lacquer stain mixings and I guess they don't leak or else not while I'm using them. Sitting on the shelf maybe so? It would be better if they were clear instead of white!

I needed a few and asked the local CVS pharmacy if they'd sell me some. They gave me, free, 4.  They are the brownish ones. Not clear. Probably not ideal to see the colors. It's been a long time for you and me but, have you considered the bigger (Junior size?) Glass baby food jars? 

1 minute ago, Gene Howe said:

Glass baby food jars? 

My Dad still has the Geber ones from when my sister and I were kids.  Full of screws, nuts and bolts etc etc.  They last forever unless you drop them.:JawDrop:

It's been 40+ years since we've used any but, with a new granddaughter, I might be able to snag some.B)

The problem with plastics of all kinds is that they're a mix of various materials.  "PVC" is PVC, plus a number of other things, and the "other things" can be varied for UV protection, oxygen attack, chemical exposure, etc., but the additions usually don't get much attention.  What's worse, the added materials can be changed if "something better" comes along, and no one knows but the guy at the batch plant.  Then you get worsest:  the vendor of the added materials is in China....yeah, you have NO idea what's actually going in to the vat.  When in doubt, just use glass. Yup, it is more fragile:  wrap it in (clear) packing tape.  It makes it much tougher to break, and you get better "shard control"; it's almost like safety glass. 

I had plastic bottles like this in mind.  Yesterday I was using epoxy to glue some pen tubes in some blanks and when I was done I grabbed the bottle of alcohol, squirted a little bit on a rag and wiped the little bit on fingers off with it.

image.png.833f35e1b0a26da6ac82705cc7631980.png

I have pint cans but wanted something easier to use for those little jobs. 

image.png.b03446ca990f68be7dd635748463f24e.png

Stick and I were talking about it earlier today and the idea came to me I can use a small bottle from Frank's hot sauce.  They are glass and have a flip top lid.  The lid is plastic but won't be in constant contact.

image.png.1dd5887387814ceb0f753f5b0704f741.png

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by HandyDan

I buy a number of things from this place https://www.usplastic.com/default.aspx

I can't find them at the moment, but I have several bottles that I keep acetone, lacquer thinner, alcohol, and naphtha in.   No problems with any of them.   They are dark brown like the bottles you get hydrogen peroxide in.   I don't think they were much more than $1 each.   They may have a "vapor barrier" lining to keep stuff from evaporating through the plastic.    You might even just try re-using a h2o2 bottle.    The lid is also important as the seal/gasket must be solvent proof.   The problem with a glass bottle (that would work perfectly) is if you drop it and it breaks.