Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Woodbutcherbynight -
HandyDan -
18
239

Top Posters


Recommended Posts

In making my lift for the router I need a wheel that turns a small Lab scissor lift.   How would I manufacture a wheel say like the Delta one pictured or something with some holes in it?   Tools available are a lathe, bandsaw okay just about any tool but the skillset may be lacking with the lathe.

 

IMG_0697.JPG.02426216d06ffa7fe9f7017c7e4426f4.JPGIMG_0701.JPG.268023954db740c4485bfce339b9384e.JPG

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

disk w/ a suicide knob...

any automotive store will have the knob...

or make your own...

 

skip the wheel and go w/ a hand crank..

flat bar connected to the lift's screw and the suicide knob on the other end..

Edited by Stick486

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

or make your own...

That is what I am thinking.  Already made the wheel as shown out of some plywood with the circle cutting jig on the BS.  Recessed the back to accept the 5 stared knob.  This was proof of concept, I used plywood.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

http://woodarchivist.com/2673-diy-handwheels/

Made that kind before.  Only issue here is the lab lift has reverse threaded metric bolt, of which I have none in supply or sourced.  So I am stuck with making a wheel I can adapt to the 5 star knob it has.  Was thinking more like a wagon wheel look.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

disk w/ a suicide knob...

any automotive store will have the knob...

or make your own...

 

skip the wheel and go w/ a hand crank..

flat bar connected to the lift's screw and the suicide knob on the other end..

Sticks got it right!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

something like in this picture, lower right side.  With the suicide knob attached.  

wooden-cogwheels-set-eleven-gear-wheels-35193246.jpg.102e4586e4535dc09ade351db686985b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen this done but was sure the guy made it on the lathe.  Just was not sure how he did the holes.  

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-PhuvQOY8Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can cut some really nice circles on your bandsaw with the aid of a circle cutting jig. This is the jig that I made for my bandsaw. After you make your wheel you could make some holes with a Forstner bit to make it look nice or use a scroll saw if you have one.

 

 

 

Edited by hawkeye10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, hawkeye10 said:

You can cut some really nice circles on your bandsaw with the aid of a circle cutting jig.

Oddly when I made mine her video helped a lot in my own design. 

 

Thanks for the suggestions I have the blank glued and squared up.  Probably get on it in next couple of days.

 

IMG_0572.JPG.ce6bec2197568eedac76e7f130bd94ba.JPGIMG_0575.JPG.70ac6e92b64596c561a01927a0acaa2e.JPGIMG_0708.JPG.3a107b6351e707efff2cb9496e5c1edd.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Oddly when I made mine her video helped a lot in my own design. 

 

Thanks for the suggestions I have the blank glued and squared up.  Probably get on it in next couple of days.

 

IMG_0572.JPG.ce6bec2197568eedac76e7f130bd94ba.JPGIMG_0575.JPG.70ac6e92b64596c561a01927a0acaa2e.JPGIMG_0708.JPG.3a107b6351e707efff2cb9496e5c1edd.JPG

That looks good very good and better looking than mine. You will have circles everywhere.  LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crank wheel now turned.  Have to get the suicide handle turned next.  For anyone interested a 7mm pen blank brass insert can be used to turn a handle of smaller size and gives you a nice brass surface inside to wear instead of wood against a steel 1/4 bolt.

 

0104192042.jpg.75bf632207b1bcf812b0a6f0302eb2f0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Woodbutcherbynight said:

Crank wheel now turned.  Have to get the suicide handle turned next.  For anyone interested a 7mm pen blank brass insert can be used to turn a handle of smaller size and gives you a nice brass surface inside to wear instead of wood against a steel 1/4 bolt.

 

0104192042.jpg.75bf632207b1bcf812b0a6f0302eb2f0.jpg

We will start calling you the "Wheel Man".  :Laughing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stick486 said:

is that like '' run around in circles''???

That's what you end up doing when one keeps cutting corners...:rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...