Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
kmealy

Question Looking for a Forum, Trailer Bed

Rate this topic

A friend of mine runs a feed store.   He recently bought a livestock trailer to deliver goods in.  I helped him put in Lexan windows and now he's looking for something to put on the aluminum floor to level it out.   It has 1" high sort of triangular tubing every 12" or so, front to back.   His original though was to put in some 1" (probably 5/4) rough-sawn poplar.  But it's air dried and cracked and warped.  I'm wondering if 5/4 PT decking would work?  Any other suggestions?  Does not want to add a lot of unnecessary weight. Foam insulation under 1/2" CDX?  2x2 grid under ply???

plywood fillers and cover w/ rubber reinforced stable mats..

the chemicals from the PT may leach into the feed...

Just now, HandyDan said:

I would choose plywood for the uniformity.  Any place around to get some one inch plywood?

two layers of ½''...

I'd go with the double layer 1/2" ply and preferably stainless steel screws but at minimum weather resistant coated screws. You only need enough screws to hold the ply secure...not like a sub-floor. Check with a trailer dealer/repair shop for the screws.

8 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

I'd go with the double layer 1/2" ply and preferably stainless steel screws but at minimum weather resistant coated screws. You only need enough screws to hold the ply secure...not like a sub-floor. Check with a trailer dealer/repair shop for the screws.

winged (reamer) TEKs are the ticket...

SS not required w/ these...

7a679349ed154f2114dc50eec48cc339.jpg

I think the idea of a layer of foam insulation covered with a layer of ply would work well. I would glue the foam to the ribs and attach the ply with the screws recommended by Stick.

why the insulation???

1 hour ago, Stick486 said:

winged (reamer) TEKs are the ticket...

SS not required w/ these...

run them in at slow to medium speed..

if the aluminum is really ''gummy'' predrill a small pilot hole...

18 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

why the insulation???

Cheaper than another layer of ply? 3/4 rigid would work. I'd still go with the two layers of 1/2" ply screwed to the ribs. Maybe some adhesive in the middle.

41 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

why the insulation???

Weight and just to fill the space.

20 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Weight and just to fill the space.

common foam board will compress and granulate..... VOE

1'' extruded polystyrene insulation sheets topped w/ CDX or OSB...

Let not forget what he is transporting.  Pigs, Horses, Cattle, Sheep all have hooves and the plywood wold be very torn up an smelly after a short while.  PT would not be good for the animals.  The animals will containment the wood.

I would go with a topper of 1/8" to 1/4" sheet brushed aluminum.  Make sure you have drain holes that do not allow any puddles.  

A feed store does not have the same issues because livestock are not permitted in the feed store.  Now I see he bought  a livestock trailer to put his goods from the feed store in.  Sorry I miss read the first statement.  

So wood is acceptable.  After a through cleaning and bleaching of the trailer.

Edited by Michael Thuman

What was the triangular tubing for?  What sort of floor does it have now?

I would not be concerned with using 5/4 PT lumber if it is cost effective for you.  Most of the stuff being delivered will be in bags or boxes.  It sounds like the trailer has a roof and windows, so it won't get wet.  For those odd items not packaged like salt blocks you could always lay them on a piece of plastic or cardboard (or not).

It's got a textured aluminum floor.  Not sure why the ridges unless for stiffeners.  The tops are rounded, I suppose so as not to damage hooves.  It did have some vent openings all around, about 4" high, that we filled with Lexan to keep water out.

@kmealy - here is some info that might be helpful:

http://theplywood.com/weight

Comparing the weight difference between plywood and "high moisture" yellow pine, the plywood wins by a lot.

Since this sounds like it will be mostly for safety to mitigate trip hazard from the ridges you might be ok with a layer of 3/4" or a double layer of 1/2".

On 7/25/2018 at 5:27 AM, Cal said:

using 5/4 PT lumber

w/ all the worl that I did in the grain mills...

PT was not allowed because of the possibility of chemicals leaching into the feed...

don't believe for a heartbeat that floor won't get wet...

rain...

doors open..

wet feed stack...

wet hand truck...

wet pallet...

wet bodies..

the 1st horse/critter that gets sick and the ambulance chasers will come a head hunting... seen that happen several times....

Edited by Stick486