July 25, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_118169 I found out about this MiterSet jig on another forum and had to get one. https://miterset.myshopify.com/pages/demo?AFF=41 Yesterday I tried it out and wish I would have had one years ago. It took me seconds to set the miter gauge and 5 minute max to cut and glue up a 7 sided polygon. There are formulas on the web if you know the radius they will calculate the length of the sides of any regular polygon. I worked in metric, it is easier to set up for say a 3.462" side by setting the stops on the table saw at 8.793 cm. https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/geometry-plane/polygon.php Don't worry about a "T" slot miter gauge as the MiterSet goes in the middle, it worked for my craftsman, Bosch "T" slot, and Incre 2000 too. the slot is .733 for a shopSmith but will fit just about any miter gauge. If the bar is a little worn it can be shimmed to one side with a thin shim, no biggy. Herb Edited July 25, 20179 yr by Dadio Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118175 That has to be the smartest gadget (well, TWO gadgets, actually) that I have ever seen! Gotta get 'em! Thanks for posting that, Herb. John Report
July 25, 20179 yr Author comment_118183 7 minutes ago, HandyDan said: Looks easy. It is not new, but this is the first I had heard of them. They are made in USA and are incredibly accurate. Herb Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118194 1 hour ago, Dadio said: It is not new, but this is the first I had heard of them. They are made in USA and are incredibly accurate. Herb I heard a guy complain about one but I always consider the source. I like your review. Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118202 That is a neat jig! I have a Woodriver miter gauge that has preset angles but I don't think it is accurate as this one! Thanks for the calculator link.. Here's another one that has that stuff and more- http://www.wolframalpha.com/ Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118203 My sets are the original ones made by the inventor. They're made of BB. Perfectly accurate. Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118206 2 hours ago, Dadio said: It is not new, but this is the first I had heard of them. They are made in USA and are incredibly accurate. Herb that looks to well worth it Herb... see what happens when you shop other than your favorite junk store... Report
July 25, 20179 yr comment_118208 6 minutes ago, Stick486 said: that looks to well worth it Herb... see what happens when you shop other than your favorite junk store... Aw, leave Herb alone...HF does have it's gems...I just watched a video where an AGI gunsmith, says, he goes to HF and buys a numbered drill set for around $10 and cuts the shanks off to make them into Slave Pins. Go price Slave Pins at Brownell's, or Grainger and see what they cost... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118209 1 minute ago, schnewj said: Aw, leave Herb alone...HF does have it's gems...I just watched a video where an AGI gunsmith, says, he goes to HF and buys a numbered drill set for around $10 and cuts the shanks off to make them into Slave Pins. Go price Slave Pins at Brownell's, or Grainger and see what they cost... never.... what are buddies for.. could never trust the metallurgy/sizing... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118211 Just now, Stick486 said: never.... what are buddies for.. could never trust the metallurgy/sizing... So what! It's a Slave and not permanent. It's just for alignment until a permanent pin/shaft takes its place. All it has to be is close (not perfect). As for the metallurgy, if you have the pin in enough shear to worry about that, then you shouldn't be using a slave... He's was using it for gunsmithing...not building a machine shop tool... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118217 1 hour ago, schnewj said: He's was using it for gunsmith...not building a machine shop tool... still wouldn't/couldn't trust it... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118228 2 hours ago, Stick486 said: still wouldn't/couldn't trust it... Hey @schnewj, welcome to my world! Kinda like talking to a wall sometimes aint it? God Bless ya Stick, love ya man, thanks for being here Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118230 1 hour ago, John Morris said: Kinda like talking to a wall sometimes..... my old man use to say exactly that... verbatim... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118232 5 hours ago, Stick486 said: my old man use to say exactly that... verbatim... I bet he did Stick. I bet he did. Keep up the great snork, err I mean work! Report
July 26, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_118239 I was wondering who made these... One of the YouTubers (Nick Ferry, I think) uses one all of the time. Although not cheap, they can turn even a crappy miter into a usable tool. I can see them as a great time and material saver, getting the right (accurate) angle the first time, every time, and not having to recut a piece because the angle was wrong and now the piece is too short. All I can say, is, somebody paid attention in Geometry! However, they need to do a better job of marketing...laws of supply and demand apply, more supply and demand...the lower the price... Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118243 The metal ones will be much more durable and, the case is nice. But, my BB sets only cost me $35 per set. Report
July 26, 20179 yr comment_118266 Thanks Herb...just now watched the video...these are really cool. While not inexpensive, certainly not a budget buster either especially if you start calculating any waste from poor fitting joints. I was surprised to see Rockler was one of the retailers. I had never seen them there or on their site before. Like Bill said, they (MiterSet) need to improve their marketing. Great review on your part too...appreciate the PIP's. I'm definitely going to look into these. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.