Tool Review: Knew Concepts Fret Saw

Adam Welker

download?id=5228218%3AUploadedFile%3A193I love my hand tools, both vintage and new. Over the past 15 years I have accumulated a large "working set". Now that modern makers are producing quality tools, there is a large selection of high end products to choose from. So I thought that I would start offering a review of some of the tools that I own and work with everyday.
For years I removed the waste on dovetailed boards with a coping saw. When I decided to try a DT saw with a thin plate (.15), I found that my coping saw blade wouldn't fit in the kerf. Time to buy a fret saw. The first one I got was a cheap saw from Woodcraft that wouldn't hold its angle settings for more than a few strokes. I took it back and the manager recommended the Knew Concepts saw. He let me try one in the store on some poplar and I was hooked.
It is made from light weight aluminum and is feather light. A bonus when chopping dovetailed for long periods. It has the nicest blade tensioning system I have ever seen. Best of all, the angle setting mechanism is solid and keeps the blade in place no matter how much I tried to move it in a cut. It uses scroll saw blades and changing them out is a breeze. The price... $95. Now wait a minute before you call me crazy. The saw is well made and almost indescribable. It is the last fret saw I will ever buy. I want my tools to be high quality and to last forever. This saw meets those standards.
So if you are in the market for a fret saw, check out the Knew Concepts. It's worth every penny.

Adam Welker
Red Car Construction and Fine Woodworking

Adam great review! Thanks for taking the time and that's a wonderful photo. I went ahead and helped you with getting the picture up. Hope you don't mind.

I was going to post a link to it here at the online Woodcraft store but they don't carry it online yet. Great find Adam!

I like the oversized handle too, I find that most fret saws, gent saws and other small hand saws the handle is entirely too small for my hands.

Thanks again Adam, great review.

I have been meaning to get a tool review area up on our site since we opened our doors. Something I need to start considering seriously now.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Wounded Warrior Project and Homes For Our Troops

The handle is nice. Fits nice and snug in my hand. I have found that different Woodcraft stores carry different tools. It depends on the owner. There is one in Atlanta that carries Vesper sliding bevels, Lie Nielsen planes, Benchcrafted vise hardware, and Ron Bresse infills! I plan on reviewing quite a few more handtools. I am expecting a Bad Axe sash saw any day now and a LN slew block plane. It seems like only one or two people post in this forum and I am looking to change that.

John Morris said:

Adam great review! Thanks for taking the time and that's a wonderful photo. I went ahead and helped you with getting the picture up. Hope you don't mind.

I was going to post a link to it here at the online Woodcraft store but they don't carry it online yet. Great find Adam!

I like the oversized handle too, I find that most fret saws, gent saws and other small hand saws the handle is entirely too small for my hands.

I have been meaning to get a tool review area up on our site since we opened our doors. Something I need to start considering seriously now.

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

Also, I am posting from my phone so any help with pics is much appreciated.

John Morris said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker

• 2 months later...

Archived