TPW Team Project Part 1

Well, it is time to share about what's happening with Ron Dudelston, John Moody and myself as we are hanging out together for a few days down in "Moody-Ville" aka Florence, Alabama.

My wife Tami and I are on a 2+ week vacation visiting with our son and daughter in law in Indianapolis, IN as well as seeing some other friends in Indiana (including Ron and Dorothy Dudelston) and making a road trip down to Florence, Alabama to hang out with John and Beth Moody. We always have a great time together visiting, laughing and eating way too much food and our wives love to get out together to do some shopping and socializing. But one thing that we have never done before together as woodworkers is to do a woodworking project together. So on this trip Ron, John and I are working a project together to make an heirloom cedar lined walnut blanket chest for my soon to be born (in November this year) grand daughter. Being that I live in California, I could make the blanket chest but transporting it back to Indiana is not an option unless I wanted to drive it across the country. So since we were all going to be together in Alabama I talked with Ron and John about making the chest together and then when Tami and I drive back up to Indianapolis with the Dudelston's in their van we can bring the chest with us. So this weekend the 3 of us have been building the blanket chest in John Moody's shop. The plan is to complete the construction and final sanding and when we get it back to my kid's house I will put the exterior finish on it.

So here are a few photos of Ron and John ( since I am taking the pictures) in the shop as we work on the blanket chest. Today we got all the rough walnut milled down and glued up into panels. Tomorrow after church we will do the assembly, lining the interior with cedar and doing the final sanding.

Here are the rough walnut boards before milling.

ning-dsc-7989-836-3.jpg

Rough cutting the to length.

ning-dsc-7991-836-77.jpg?width=750

All boards rough cut.

ning-dsc-7992-836-77.jpg?width=750

Running all the boards through the planer.

ning-dsc-7995-836-52.jpg?width=750

All the boards completely cut and milled to size and thickness.

ning-dsc-8000-836-53.jpg?width=750

Cutting the slots for biscuits before gluing up the panels.

ning-dsc-8001-836-36.jpg?width=750

End and side panels glued u

ning-dsc-8002-836-31.jpg?width=750

Top glued up

ning-dsc-8004-836-78.jpg?width=750

Harry, Yes. Ron and John are a hoot to work with. But being that all 3 of us are woodworkers used to doing things our own way, there were a few challenges to get into a flow working together as we all do things a bit differently as well as communicate a bit differently and have skills and experiences that are different from each other. But we all got along great and had a good time together.

Gene, we'll work for food and lodging. It's been a grand time hanging out with these guys but what Allen failed to mention is that we had to leave the door cracked at all times. We just about drowned at the beginning of the project from testosterone overflow but a crack in the door let it run outside. I've come to the conclusion that regional TPW gatherings would be a good idea. Do we meet Snowflake, AZ next?

Hey Ron, sounds like a plan. Everyone is welcome! But be warned, it's 25 miles to the nearest grocery store (beer is only 5 miles) and, for the ladies, 50 miles to any SERIOUS shopping. Loads of Antique stores. VERY sparse tool pickings though. And NO lumber yards )-: But, if you come through Phoenix or Albuquerque, I've got a list for ya. However we've got 26 acres to party on and hundreds of square miles to explore in our Ranger. Set a date and we'll be here with open arms. Mid to late August through October is the best time, weather wise. Let's do it!

• 5 years later...