Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

The Patriot Woodworker

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Sears and Roebuck Bandsaw and Planer Combo

Featured Replies

I was perusing items for sale and came across this very interesting piece of machinery, a band saw jointer combo, it is neat, cool, and such. I was just curious, I wonder when they designed this machine, what the workflow was supposed to be?

Perhaps for the small shop that wouldn't have a table saw? You could rip with the band saw and join the edges after? Hmmm.

Just though I'd put it out there for discussion.

What is the workflow on this duo combo?

 

Sears Roebuck BS and Planer 1.jpg

 

Sears Roebuck BS and Planer 2.jpg

 

Sears Roebuck BS and Planer.jpg

  • Popular Post

Wish I could help but, I've no experience with combo machines.;)

  • Author
1 minute ago, Gene Howe said:

Wish I could help but, I've no experience with combo machines.;)

yer so funny Gene.

  • Author

Looking at it closer, could this be a home made combo setup?

 

I've owned a couple of Craftsman bandsaws in the past but nothing like this.

5 hours ago, John Morris said:

Looking at it closer, could this be a home made combo setup?

That's my guess, I don't remember ever hearing that setup being marketed. But then, Sears did some unusual things with the tools they sold.

At first, looking at the first couple of photos, I thought this was like Sears calling their jointers "Jointer/Planer" that is a big joke.   Then I saw the back side.

 

Delta used to make a table saw and jointer on one platform with one motor.  Looking, there appeared to be many models like this.  I think it had a tilting table, not tilting arbor.   One of my dad's HS classmates and friend had one, I saw it way before I got interested in woodworking.  I don't know if you had to switch the belts or not.  If not, it would save a few steps and put the chips in one pile.

 

image.png.f0b05c013c0b58d905c7d11da343a627.png

 

 

Edited by kmealy

Oh, and it has a very large dust and chip collection system, AKA, the floor.

 

image.png.8ab20a3c1723c777b3e5b3a7c0446abe.png

  • Author
1 hour ago, kmealy said:

At first, looking at the first couple of photos, I thought this was like Sears calling their jointers "Jointer/Planer" that is a big joke.   Then I saw the back side.

 

Delta used to make a table saw and jointer on one platform with one motor.  Looking, there appeared to be many models like this.  I think it had a tilting table, not tilting arbor.   One of my dad's HS classmates and friend had one, I saw it way before I got interested in woodworking.  I don't know if you had to switch the belts or not.  If not, it would save a few steps and put the chips in one pile.

 

I've always loved the looks of those!

20 hours ago, John Morris said:

Looking at it closer, could this be a home made combo setup?

 

That's what I am leaning towards.  Looks like it has two motors and the way the jointer is mounted looks a tad funky...

Looks like there is a nameplate on the band saw, can you get the model number?

Edited by Cal

  • Author
4 minutes ago, Cal said:

 

That's what I am leaning towards.  Looks like it has two motors and the way the jointer is mounted looks a tad funky...

Looks like there is a nameplate on the band saw, can you get the model number?

Those are the only images I got Cal, I can reach out to the owner and ask for model number.

What you stated kind of sealed the deal I think, two motors? Yep, I'd say that's pretty telling that it was a home made alteration, I would think if it was designed by professionals they would have had it come off one motor.

:ChinScratch:And a can crusher to boot! 

6 minutes ago, Larry Buskirk said:

:ChinScratch:And a can crusher to boot! 

 

I was wondering about that, but couldn't place it!

  • Author
On 7/17/2023 at 4:46 AM, Larry Buskirk said:

:ChinScratch:And a can crusher to boot! 

Didn't even catch that, hey, sure, drink a few beers while slicing and dicing some wood up! What could go wrong!

On 7/17/2023 at 7:46 AM, Larry Buskirk said:

:ChinScratch:And a can crusher to boot! 

Ah, I wondered what the lever was for.

  • Popular Post
8 hours ago, John Morris said:

Didn't even catch that, hey, sure, drink a few beers while slicing and dicing some wood up! What could go wrong!

It looks to me like you'd have to finish the beer and then crush the can to get the handle out of the way before you joint anything, give them credit for building in safety considerations. :Laughing:

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.