July 27, 20215 yr comment_268813 Cranked PT Cruiser up this morning, makes rubber thumping noise. Time for timing belt service. Oh what fun on this turd of engineering. So I drove truck to work. And forgot my glasses in the car.. Thankfully have readers in my toolbox. Gonna be a long day. Report
July 27, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268814 ^ I know that feeling, quite well Lumber supplies for August.. Shortest ones are 3'....two longest ones are just over 6'.....$20 sitting there, in 12 boards Took this belt back this morning.. And got the next size shorter.....that's the broken belt beside it...New belt is on the sander, for now...may work on the drive pulley a bit....New belt is almost too tight... I guess I am going out Dryer shopping this Friday..... Report
July 27, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268817 2 hours ago, Gunny said: Cranked PT Cruiser up this morning, makes rubber thumping noise. Time for timing belt service. Oh what fun on this turd of engineering. So I drove truck to work. And forgot my glasses in the car.. Thankfully have readers in my toolbox. Gonna be a long day. Welcome to my world. Report
July 27, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268823 Yo, @Gunny Success!!! ... As long as you don't count a broken, or dislocated finger. These were my weapons of the Pilots choice. Now to do the air pressure test once I get some parts to keep the cams, and crank in time with each other. Wasn't sure if I'd get that #$%& bolt out or not. Report
July 28, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268843 Our recent rains uncovered some leaks around the man door to the shop. A couple hours installing jamb seals and a new transom and door sweep did the trick. It now closes like a refrigerator door. It rained last night and no sign of leaks. Got a couple coats of Watco on the MDF bench top. It sure soaked it up. After a light sanding, it'll get a couple coats of Man O War. She ain't the purdiest but, she'll do the job. Still got the bench vise to reinstall but, that's a job for later. Now, it's back to trimming those pallet slats. We burned the pallet remains in the fire pit a couple days ago. There must be a thousand nails among the ashes. God, I love magnets! Report
July 28, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268850 Oops...spoke too soon. Inspection reveals the need for more Watco. Man, that MDF soaks it up! Report
July 28, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268859 Better photos of the Lumber Supply for August... tallest 2 are 4'8"...grain details... Mostly quarter sawn...there are a couple defects to work around.. And... otherwise, not too hateful...for $20 of Ash. Mainly 5-5/8" wide.. Thinking a tool chest of some sort....have two very full cardboard boxes that need to be put away....hmmm...I guess THAT will be the Project for August? Stay tuned Edited July 28, 20215 yr by steven newman Report
July 28, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268863 4 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Oops...spoke too soon. Inspection reveals the need for more Watco. Man, that MDF soaks it up! Gene I picked up a formula for bench top from the old Wood forum by Steve Mickley. If I remember (I do have the exact formula in the shop) it is :beeswax, BLO , and turpentine (to dissolve the beeswax). This stuff works great and if you get glue on it you can just pop it off. It is necessary to reapply however I just got lazy and since I don't do much glueup it has not hurt. Report
July 28, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268864 That formula Gerald mentioned is what I've always used after I read the Mickley recommendation. With my last batch I did cange the solvent from turpentine to MS, the turpentine smelled for days (literally). Report
July 29, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268867 Watco's tendency to gel and harden, as anyone whose experienced the frustration of removing the lid from a partially used can of it will attest, is the reason for it's use with MDF. Tomorrow, it's 4th coat will have dried sufficiently to allow the first of three coats of spar urethane. I knew enough was applied when the 4th coat wasn't immediately absorbed. This method isn't idiot proof (what one is?) but, this old idiot can live with it. It's just a work bench, after all. I just need a flat area to stack tools on. Edited July 29, 20215 yr by Gene Howe Report
July 29, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268872 2 hours ago, Gene Howe said: Watco's tendency to gel and harden, as anyone whose experienced the frustration of removing the lid from a partially used can of it will attest, is the reason for it's use with MDF. Tomorrow, it's 4th coat will have dried sufficiently to allow the first of three coats of spar urethane. I knew enough was applied when the 4th coat wasn't immediately absorbed. This method isn't idiot proof (what one is?) but, this old idiot can live with it. It's just a work bench, after all. I just need a flat area to stack tools on. Another tip. I place a plastic bag over the spout on the can before screwing the lid on. Still need pliers to open but not near as hard as without the bag. And I believe it seals the can better. Report
July 29, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_268875 I thought about a light coat petroleum jelly on the can threads but, the plastic bag seems a better idea. Report
August 5, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_269123 The suggested surgery has been postponed indefinitely. The surgeon tried to get some pain by pushing on the upper right abdomen. No pain, no nausea or other symptoms related to gall stones. So for now, no surgery. Whew! I can get some work done. BTW, I thought the Honda Pilot was a good SUV. I have seen them and never discussed whether it is reliable or not. Report
August 5, 20215 yr Popular Post comment_269124 5 hours ago, FlGatorwood said: The suggested surgery has been postponed indefinitely. The surgeon tried to get some pain by pushing on the upper right abdomen. No pain, no nausea or other symptoms related to gall stones. So for now, no surgery. Whew! I can get some work done. Great news. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.