Rate this topic

I have had very good experiences with Grizzly. Their customer service is excellent and the woodworking machinery I have purchased from them did everything I ever asked of them. Back I the 90’s I ran a custom shop that was almost entirely Grizzly and all of it performed well. I sold all of it in 2005 to a friend and it’s all still running today. When I started my new hobbyist shop in Las Vegas anything I bought new was Grizzly and am very pleased. 
Paul

After doing some research I am looking more toward the Nova Saturn DVR lathe. Instead of sliding headstock it has a rotating headstock. It is direct drive so no belts. It will turn 16” onboard and 29” outboard and a 24” spindle. It has a smaller footprint than the Grizzly and will fit my shop better. The only negative is the spindle is 1.25 by 8 tpi so I will have to buy a new Chuck.

5 minutes ago, RustyFN said:

The only negative is the spindle is 1.25 by 8 tpi so I will have to buy a new Chuck.

Adapters are available.  With the cost of them you may be better off to sell your chuck and buy one to fit.

https://bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net/prstspadwith.html

Edited by HandyDan

Yes that Record 18 does look good . I did not look at the weights on the two . or the controls on headstock and tailstock which can make work comfortable or inconvenient.

OK just looked at it again , but remember I turn on a PM 3520B. The tailstock looks small and the banjo does to. The only meaning of this is in turning heavier pieces may get chatter . But that is just opinion.