Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Fred W. Hargis Jr

Karma is kicking my butt.

Rate this topic

Last Wednesday I gassed up the mower and started mowing the yard. i was probably 2/3s done when I parked the mower to get a drink of water. Went back and tried to start it and the starter absolutely had fell apart. It was probably going bad and I just didn't notice the grinding noises (always wear ear plugs) but whatever, it died while the mower was sitting out in the yard. I managed to get it into the garage and looked up the part number and ordered one. This wasn't a big deal to install, it took maybe an hour to get the old one off, and a little less to put the new one yesterday. Fired right up, and I tried to finish the job. About 30 minutes later I turned a corner and the danged thing died.....not a sputtering/slow down/cough cough die, it went completely dead (electrically) immediately. In looking at the schematic, there appears to be a 20 amp master fuse but there's no clues as to where the dumb thing is located. Crap, now I've got to try and get it into the shop (where I have light) and track it down. I was thinking I'd like to replace it with something that doesn't ride so harsh, maybe now I have too.

29 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

not a sputtering/slow down/cough cough die, it went completely dead (electrically) immediately.

That happened to me once with a car.  Turned out to be corrosion on the battery cables.  Cross your fingers!

As soon as I read your post I ran out to the barn to look. The connection looked to be clear of everything and it has a nice rubber boot over it, but tomorrow when I have better light (in the shop) I'll go over it again and make sure it's clear. Thanks!

Well, I've pretty much not got anywhere with this. I replaced the blown fuse holder/fuse and did get juice to some places (i.e, the lights came on) but the solenoid isn't getting the "start" message from the key switch. Since that goes through about 4 different safety switches (the pto, the parking brake, and both motion control levers) I'll have a headache trying to find the where the power is lost. One thing I was able to check the starter again, I have a remote starter control from my car stuff, and I can get it to turn just fine. So I haven't checked the solenoid yet, I took the battery cables off of it and tried to hear it click when I discovered I had no power there. I hate this crap.

OK, I went through all the suggested checks and didn't really find anything that would seem to cause my problem.  The solenoid does seem to switch as it should, though the key switch lead connection to it was badly rust/corroded. I cleaned it off and put everything back together and she fired right up. If Artie was correct about the fuse being loose, I did replace that fuse holder so that should be solved. Now I just have to run it a little and see what happens...thanks to all for the suggestions.

This is really aggravating, I have to laugh to keep from burning things up. Yesterday after getting the mower to run I parked it in the barn and came up to the house. Needed to take a load of stuff to the recycle center so I pulled my '07 F150 out of the garage and loaded 'er up. Jumped in and the danged thing wouldn't crank! Another electrical issue and I'm getting fed up with control boards, relays, and all the associated crap that goes with it.