December 29, 20196 yr Popular Post comment_213853 Been trying to figure out what to do for a mirror in the rec bath Wife wanted to throw a dresser upper a way. Maybe I can save the mirror. Report
December 29, 20196 yr Author Popular Post comment_213871 The mirror requires a frame around it as its rough. Have corner sink and just didn't like the corner mirror. I haven't worked on that bathroom since 2005. No mirror, toilet paper holder or towel holder. To many things to do... Edited December 29, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 30, 20196 yr comment_213924 I would be betting that you will come up with something that I will just call "most cool"... Report
December 30, 20196 yr Author comment_213925 There's a start.. maybe 10 more layers till its usuable... Report
December 30, 20196 yr Author Popular Post comment_213926 Cool.....probably not....Now that my wife calls me Hazel the fiminime side of me is poppin. I'll probably put flowers and crap in there.. Kinda feel like... Edited December 30, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 30, 20196 yr Author Popular Post comment_213955 Couldn't go any further without using locking c clamps. I need to go the other way for a groove for the mirror Dont y'all worry about that glue on the work table. It's a used shop, not a new shop Report
December 30, 20196 yr Author comment_213957 The bathroom is in some need of finishing. I think 15 years is enough and time to do something. A vanity, stool upper, chitter and some woodworking magazines is all a guy needed.. I thought. I may have to kick hazel out... Bet you take a double look at the magazine. I liked the feller... Edited December 30, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 31, 20196 yr Author Popular Post comment_214009 Seems to be on track. 2 more outside layers for a rabbet and clean up time... Edited December 31, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 31, 20196 yr Author Popular Post comment_214032 Two choices to use a rabbet bit or use wider wood. Router bit might tear out the oak under pressure so I went with making a rabbet. Easy enough. Two layers should do it. Report
January 2, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_214177 Not much done today as I was baby sitting the grand daughter. Mirror fits but I may ad another 1/4 to the outside rim.. Report
January 2, 20206 yr Author comment_214226 Woodshops a call in me this morning to... Edited January 2, 20206 yr by BillyJack Report
January 2, 20206 yr comment_214229 12 hours ago, BillyJack said: Not much done today as I was baby sitting the grand daughter. Mirror fits but I may ad another 1/4 to the outside rim.. with it flush on the back how do you retain the mirror in the rabbet? Then how do you do hang this? Report
January 2, 20206 yr Author comment_214230 Will silicone the mirror in. Fastening to the shelf to the mirror to the wall. That's the trick...so either the shelf hooks to the wall to hold the mirror or the mirror hooks to the shelf to hold the shelf... Report
January 2, 20206 yr comment_214232 Silicone works well but needs time to cure. I have switched from epoxy to silicone when I mount glassware to my new stems. If they break much easier to dig out. Epoxy = disaster. Report
January 2, 20206 yr comment_214240 3 hours ago, BillyJack said: Will silicone the mirror in. Fastening to the shelf to the mirror to the wall. That's the trick...so either the shelf hooks to the wall to hold the mirror or the mirror hooks to the shelf to hold the shelf... The mirror is very top heavy compared to the shelf. I would mount the mirror using mirror adheasive. Then mount the shelf to the wall outside the mirror profile. Silicone will contaminate the wood. I wold use something else. Edited January 2, 20206 yr by Michael Thuman Added silicone note Report
January 2, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_214245 I only need the mirror held into place. The mirror itself won't carry any weight just the mirror frame or shelf connected to the mirror frame.I've got a 1.25 worth of glue surface for the mirror around the edge... Report
January 3, 20206 yr Author comment_214357 I'm think I might hand the mirror then put the 2X oak in from for the shelf and drill and put long screws through the shelf and thenm use buttons or plugs. I won't be doing the floating shelf on this one. I got a funky paint finish on the wall.... I kinda a rabbit getting this up but a turtle if it ever comes down. It's gonna be up a few years...... Report
January 20, 20206 yr Author Popular Post comment_216084 A little progress. Sometimes I cant get going in the shop. Went through 5 Mirka sanding belts as there old about 10 years and breaking at the seam. Found another batch from Ebay. Held together fine and are the same age. Funny how otf brands seem to hold out the longest... Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.