November 21, 20196 yr comment_209633 There was a guy on Woodnet many many years ago who machined a bowl cutting jig that mounted to the router which mounted onto the project. It rotated to form a change/bowl cutout... Anybody familiar with what I'm talking about? Edited November 21, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
November 21, 20196 yr Author comment_209644 Similiar to this but with a router mounted to the top that pivoted... Report
November 21, 20196 yr comment_209649 I would also add he must have been using a special bit also. They are used for trays. Something like THIS Report
November 21, 20196 yr Author comment_209653 The router jig used a straight bit. I remember how it was made guess I'll make one. Got to do something with all those routers sometime.... Report
November 21, 20196 yr Author comment_209654 If the swivel base turns it ,then the rocking base motion lets it cut the radius out. Kind of like chair base routing....just spin till all radius are cut out... Report
November 21, 20196 yr comment_209664 https://nickferry.com/2015/02/spoon-making-router-jig-ep43-kitchen-utensil-challenge-2015/ Report
November 21, 20196 yr Author comment_209668 It's similiar but not the same. I think that guys name was mezalof or something. I can't get on Woodnet to research it.. Report
November 22, 20196 yr comment_209675 http://www.jeremybroun.co.uk/ebooks/HTML5/routable/files/assets/common/downloads/publication.pdf Report
December 22, 20196 yr Author comment_213156 The jig would be useful for many things lew but the one I'm looking for is really small and can be used on large projects. Thx... The Dewalt 625 has centering slots on each side I'm thinking I can mount metal pins in and center pivot it. Edited December 22, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213172 That's going to be one really long bit to clear the baseplate of the router and get deep enough for the bowl. Might I suggest looking at long straight cut or long cove bits to give you an idea of the range of depth you're gonna need to do that bowl. Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213176 http://www.trend-uk.com/en/US/trend/content/content_detail.php?record_type=Knowledge&id=22762 Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213179 Bowl cutting router bits are not intended to go deep. It is not like turning a bowl on a lathe and a longer bit could get very dangerous as there would be too much flex. Now if you want deep look at the Arbortec 2 inch . It can get a little over 3 inches but not in a router . Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213200 I've made several oak, maple and, walnut candy dishes using a 1/2" shank, bearinged bowl bit in a 4" extension. The cavities were first hogged out with a 2" Forstner. Used a 3 1/14 hp plunge router. My deepest cut was 3" but, it felt safe enough for another inch. Report
December 23, 20196 yr Author comment_213234 Straight bits come I believe 3" long. It looks like a bowl but is actually just a key or change bowl. Doesn't have to be 3" deep. Shallow and wide would be fine... I think the pivot probem isn't too complicated but the turning is. Either way the router will have to be mounted to a turntable. .. It's too bad the guy from Woodnet Isn't around to look at the jig. I can't find a picture of it either... Edited December 23, 20196 yr by BillyJack Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213236 My candy dishes had straight sides. For sloped sides, you'd sure need a cradle like you posted. But, I'm not understanding why the router needs a turn table??? I'm not good at envisioning stuff. Report
December 23, 20196 yr Author comment_213248 Spin the cradle ,not the wood... otherwise it would just make a slot.. Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213250 I was thinking about the router as a pendulum but that would limit the depth to circumference ratio. Report
December 23, 20196 yr Author comment_213251 7 minutes ago, HandyDan said: I was thinking about the router as a pendulum but that would limit the depth to circumference ratio. It is... at this point he router can only make a certain size rout. A larger rotating base and a longer base will make a larger bowl. 3-4 inch radius is all I'm after. Otherwise a penilum as suggested in the picture above would be needed... Report
December 23, 20196 yr comment_213259 2 hours ago, BillyJack said: It is... at this point he router can only make a certain size rout. A larger rotating base and a longer base will make a larger bowl. 3-4 inch radius is all I'm after. Otherwise a penilum as suggested in the picture above would be needed... I was thinking more like the router hanging from a rope. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.