Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Danl

Side Chair - prototype -1

Rate this topic

Really neat design.  I was wondering was it for structural reasons or spouse requests to add the filler in the slots in back and the extra enforcements in the lower stringer?  

What I have had for years is almost identical except that the back is slatted (not filled in) and the bottom stringer is one 2"x2" board M&T joint between the side rails.  It has held up really well.

Just putting in my 2Cents so that if you want to consider my changes you will save some money time and headache. But the apperance will be different and may not fit your tastes.

4 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

I was wondering was it for structural reasons or spouse requests to add the filler in the slots in back and the extra enforcements in the lower stringer?  

Both the vertical filler splats and the extra stringers were my idea.  The intent with some imagination was to resemble a design feature from the kitchen cabinet doors.  The two 1" x 1" x 3" stringers probably add no structural integrity, but sure add to the difficulty in the build.   I built the two "side-to-side" stringers with the two short stringers as a subassembly and then located the subassy to the two "forward-to-aft" stringers.  The length and angle of the "side-to-side stringers have to be spot-on or gaps will appear.   All of the joinery for the stringers are dowel joints which also have to be spot-on (24 mortised holes).  The mortised holes were put into the strings, front legs, and back legs using my "shop-made" mortising jig and router.  Danl

4 hours ago, Michael Thuman said: