Jump to content
John Morris

MWTCA November 2019 'What's It' Project (m-11)

Recommended Posts

"What's It" Basic Rules Reminder


For a full run down on this project and rules please go to: "The Patriot Woodworker and MWTCA "What's It" project"

  • Only Patriot Woodworker Members are eligible to participate and receive the award.
  • The MWTCA only accepts a verified source to support your answer, so one should be submitted with your answer, such as a patent, catalog entry, tool book reference, or a respectable website on the subject. Do not let these requirements prevent you from having fun and submitting educated answers on the subject without verification, we can worry about references later. All answers are welcome, as well as healthy debates regarding "What's It".
  • If a verified and referenced answer is not arrived at by the end of each month's "What's It" project, a random draw will be performed for a "One Year MWTCA Club Membership".
  • Only Patriot Woodworker's who participate in this "What's It" topic will be included in the random draw.


Additional What's It Rules

  • Unless you are completely sure what this item is, please avoid "definitive statements" that appear that you are without a doubt claiming that you know what the item is. For example stating, "this item is called a "widget xx" used for "insert purpose here". If you are making a definitive statement you must accompany your statement with evidence or proof from a secondary source.
  • An example of acceptable statements within the realm of having fun and educated guesses would be something like this, "I believe it could be", or "It appears it's made for this or that", etc etc etc...


Ok ladies and gentlemen, we now have our "What's it" live and ready!

The image(s) below is a MWTCA "What's It" image for you to research, and tell us all here in this topic post, just what the heck is it!


Project Details

The information provided hereon is all the information that is provided, no further information on this item will be added.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, steven newman said:

Crimping pliers, for doing Standing Seam metal roofing....

Probably made by Krueter...

It's the wrong configuration Steve. That's not how the seam is configured or looks for Standing Seam roofing. And, the typical crimps for metal roofing are quite large with long handles, and the crimp itself is long. There is no way in heck you could get the leverage to bend that heavy gauged metal for roofing with those small pliers handles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, John Morris said:

You gotta a similar pic or reference Larry? Sounds like you seen these before?


Yes I've seen these before. For crimping terminals onto larger gauge wires.

I'll have to see if I can find a photo IIRC they're made by Klein.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gerald said:

Will be interesting to see what Larry finds.

:CoveringEyes:Dang...Larry struck out finding a photo. :Tapping:.. I'm not positive on the manufacturer of these "pliers/crimpers". 

I saw the electricians using these when I worked in the skilled trades at Chrysler.

10 hours ago, Gerald said:

I was thinking pliers to crimp the connector making a loop end in cable.

They were also capable of doing just that with smaller size cable. There were a few different shaped sets of jaws for them.



@Artie, Do you know the brand name of these "pliers/crimpers"? :huh:



Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not think it is for crimping electrical connectors.  It is nothing like any of the old crimpers that I have seen.   This would be very unweildy to use as you would have to squeeze  the handles together while holding the two pliers flat.     The sharp edges on the pins would tend to cut or split the connector, normally the part that compresses the connector is rounded to prevent that.     Roly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the screws the pointed ends are adjustable.  But I agree not for electrical unless they are made to bite into solid core wire.  Once closed they lock on to what they are being closed upon.  So I think it is use as a torque or rotational device.  

Edited by Michael Thuman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...