Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

Pat Meeuwissen

Selecting a router bit for sled

Rate this topic

Guys, I have a rough slab to flatten and am making a router sled, to do the work I found an Whiteside 6220 router bit which looks like it would do a good job. Found some carbide insert ones that are not in the budget, ($100) any others I should look at?

While I'm asking I'd love to be able to afford the Woodpecker version I have a beer budget can you guys share your router jig setups please?

Edited by Pat Meeuwissen

2 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

If used in a hand-held configuration, I agree with you Gene.  If the router was mounted on a flattening sled, do you think that would work?

I think the router would be way to fast. I 'll check mine later but, I'm sure there's a Max speed limit. 

1 hour ago, FlGatorwood said:

You could chuck it up in a drill press or on a Shopsmith and it would work dandy.  :P

That's how mine is used since that's the only DP I've got. But, only for small stuff or, if a wide bevel is needed.

Big slabs get the router sled tretment.  

Edited by Gene Howe

Guys, thanks for the suggestions and I'll be getting the original bit I inquired about.

I would love to see some pics of your sleds for doing this?? 

Or suggestions for making a good solid version, I've seen quite a few on YouTube that when the router is being pushed back and forth that the carriage dips in the center under the weight.

Pat, mine is all made of 3/4 mdf. I use a 3 hp freud router. Pretty heavy. The piece it slides on is only wide enough for the base plate. The slot for the bit is barely wider than the bit. The sides are about 1 1/2 " high. The sled is 36" long. I've had no problems with sags. The  runners are just L shape pieces. Mine will accept a 4" thick slab. 

Edited by Gene Howe

Sorry to being so late answering your question but I think what you are looking for is a surface planning bit. Check out Magnate. All the bits I use with the Legacy Ornamental Mill I buy from them... they have 7 different widths from 3/4" up to 2 3/4".  The speeds they recommend are based on the width of the cutting area. Don't know what speeds for any bit while typing.

10 hours ago, Gene Howe said:

Pat, mine is all made of 3/4 mdf. I use a 3 hp freud router. Pretty heavy. The piece it slides on is only wide enough for the base plate. The slot for the bit is barely wider than the bit. The sides are about 1 1/2 " high. The sled is 36" long. I've had no problems with sags. The  runners are just L shape pieces. Mine will accept a 4" thick slab. 

Never had good luck working with mdf, even bought the special conformat? screws, predrilled and the material still split on me. I have a Porter cable 3 1/2 horse plunge router so have plenty of power to work with the larger bit. 

Pat, like most competitively marketed wood products there are various densities and, grades of MDF. From less than 40lb per Cubic ft. up to over 50 lb. If you can get the heavier grade, you shouldn't experience splits and blow outs. I use pan head screws from the local hardware, similar to Confirmats but cheaper. I suppose one wouldn't really need screws for the sled but, I kinda over build.