Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

RustyFN -
Cal -

Top Posters

You are definitely getting better. I see you like the expansion mode. There are times you will want to use a tenon but I just thought it unusual for a beginner to use this method.

17 minutes ago, Gerald said:

You are definitely getting better. I see you like the expansion mode. There are times you will want to use a tenon but I just thought it unusual for a beginner to use this method.

The only reason I used expansion was because it was a large bowl. I will be using a tenon on my smaller bowls from now on. Thanks.

20 hours ago, HandyDan said:

Looks great Rusty.  I see nothing wrong using expansion mode to hold the bowls.  It is my preferred method.  

The only problem I have had is with smaller bowls if you tighten the chuck too tight it will blow the bottom out.

16 hours ago, RustyFN said:

The only problem I have had is with smaller bowls if you tighten the chuck too tight it will blow the bottom out.

For expansion just tight enough to hold the bowl and the depth does not need to be deeper than 1/8 to 3/16 inch. One key that causes problems is the area outside the cut. If you taper this and the mortise is very close to the outside of the form being turned it will break. Then there is always the possibility of a catch and hen all bets are off.

Now another way to do all this with small pieces is the use of a faceplate. The workpiece can be attached with double stick tape , CA, hot glue or even regular wood glue.

Edited by Gerald

3 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

Rusty if you could take us with pictures from start (blank selection) then glue up then each phase of turning that would be wonderful almost as wonderful as your finished bowl.

We are hear to support, applaud and lean.  

Michael I wish I had before and glue up pictures. I will have to try to remember to take them on future projects. I can try to explain it. I bought a big chunk of Maple from Woodcraft. I cut a piece 12" by 12". Then I cut it diagonally and glued in a piece of 1 by 3 bloodwood. After that set up I cut the opposite direction and glued one in there also. After seeing that I thought I wanted it thicker so I put it on its side and cut it in half with my band saw. I glued in a couple of pieces of 1 inch thick padauk. After it was all set I cut a 12 inch round on the bandsaw and put it on the lathe.