Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Ron Dudelston

Polishing Poured Epoxy

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Ron Dudelston -
Gerald -

Top Posters

I’m about to step into uncharted territory.   The local fire chief paid me a visit today with a job.  Last year, one of the volunteer firefighters built an 8 foot table for the station and applied a poured 2 part epoxy finish on it.  His plan was to let the epoxy cure for a year and then polish it.  Unfortunately, he died suddenly before he could complete the project.  I’ve been asked to polish the top but have never done so.  Any of you folks ever tackled such a project?  If so, what’s the process?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Wow, a long time ago, a customer had a live edge cedar coffee table with epoxy finish that had scratched over the years.   I got it polished up but do not remember all the products that I might have used.   I have a bunch of rubbing and polishing compounds that I got at auto supply stores that I've used to buff up super high gloss lacquer table tops.  Just like sanding, start only as coarse as you need to and step up the grit level to remove the prior product's scratches.   I also would often finish with a lamb's wool bonnet on a buffing machine and if needed a foam cover with a swirl remover following that.  Just realize that the higher the gloss, the more imperfections and wear and tear it's going to show.

I've read that people that do "river tables" use a ROS once the epoxy is set to level off and clean up the overflow.

So, in summary, I guess it's what it looks like when you get started and where you want it to end up.