Michael Thuman

Veneer Door issues

Rate this topic

Please see the below where I have unstainable squigles in the raised panel.

Probably glue line or squeeze out.  

Do I dare to strip and sand out risking cutting thru the veneer?

Maybe a brown and black sharpe?

Need your help!

20190122_181435[1].jpg

20190122_181407[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Dadio said:

That is the veneer stitching showing, I have no solution. Nice color.

Herb

So Veneer stiching cannot be sanded out.  If I cannot color it then I have to live with it?

Does any one but you see it, or comment on it?

I have no solution, but if it were me I would experiment on an obscure place with those stain felt pens to see if there was a way to break up the pattern so it would be less noticeable. I have seen the painters draw in grain on wood such that it looked real. It will be a time consuming job though. Are these new doors or are you refinishing old doors?

Herb

Edited by Dadio

Don't believe I ever seen a zigzag line like that before. Its sure not glue ease out. 50 years from now you won't even think about any more...

Call in my ignorance How do you do a raised panel with veneer? All I have done and seen are solid wood or plastic. If this is wood can sand , if not maybe make a matching strip (no squiggle) on both sides of the door to cover it

Michael, not being a smart arse, but I like it, I love inconsistencies in work, I'd keep it. Seriously.:) I would not try to fix it even if I wanted too.

2 hours ago, John Morris said:

Seriously.:) I would not try to fix it even if I wanted too.

I agree, adds character to it.  Who would think a tree had stitching?  It has a unique and very even appearance.

OK thanks for all your replies.  I will leave it along and make it a feature to be enjoyed or ignored.

Thanks all.

On 1/24/2019 at 5:09 AM, Michael Thuman said:

OK thanks for all your replies.  I will leave it along and make it a feature to be enjoyed or ignored.

Thanks all.

That's the spirit!!!!!!!

Since we cannot tell how noticeable it is, or which panel it is on; please let us know if anyone ever asks about it.

Could the door be swapped with another in the house that would be in a less noticeable spot?

Was the veneering done with a vacuum press and heat ?  Only way to veneer a raised panel that I know of.     If so the issue is the stitching is a hot melt glue process and then heating it again with more glue probably made it bleed through the veneer.  I would consider placing a coat of finish on then see if glazing will blend it in more if you want.  Roly