Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Michael Thuman

Painted Trim or Wood Trim

Rate this topic

Topic Summary

Created

Last Reply

Replies

Views

Michael Thuman -
Dadio -

Top Posters

We have a house new to us and it has painted wood trim (pine) white that does not fit the character of the ranch house.

I am replacing that trim with the following.

Doors flutes, rosettes, and plinth blocks

Windows flutes, rosettes, jamb, sill

Baseboards , plain board 4 to 6" tall then quarter round on the floor and cove molding on the top.

In  your humble opinion should I invest in real wood mouldings (oak stained and dyed to highlight the grain) or MDF painted white.

The investiment will be substantial and I need to know which this community would like to go for.

IF natural more detail work to get everything tight and looking good.

If mdf (cheaper than oak) and white trim can be flubbed with caulk.

I used oak baseboard (no QR) and she likes the appearance.  I think it's pretty arbitrary, and it's pretty yours.

Well the hardwood floors had to gap the wall by 1/2" each side so the QR is used to hide any gaps and keep legs and stuff from marking up the baseboards.

A lot depends on the theme, if you have one.  I work with a interior decorator from time to time and she keeps to a theme.  If you had say a country style theme then paint would not really be in the mix.  But she never uses the MDF for anything.  Granted she is picky but her work speaks for itself once done.  

23 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

Well the hardwood floors had to gap the wall by 1/2" each side so the QR is used to hide any gaps and keep legs and stuff from marking up the baseboards.

Whoever (I wasn't there in '87) installed our drywall left about 3/4" gap under it.  Flooring covers (wood and carpet) were installed to edge of DW, and that meant baseboard alone could cover gap.  I've also seen really thick baseboard used that did the same thing.  Some one was using 3/4" alder for bb.  Beautiful, but maybe too much.

here is a picture of the door which is what the trim will look like also.

Those squiggles are a problem and I just put it on the finising forum for advise.

20190122_181430[1].jpg

Edited by Michael Thuman
Update text

17 hours ago, Michael Thuman said:

here is a picture of the door which is what the trim will look like also.

Those squiggles are a problem and I just put it on the finising forum for advise.

20190122_181430[1].jpg

Micheal, that is where they stitched the veneer when they made the door panel. You can see the narrow piece of veneer between the wide grain if you look closely.

I like the color,good match.

Herb

Edited by Dadio