October 17, 20187 yr comment_162898 Tip: you'll find that the wedge is the same size/taper as the ''space'' at the edges of of the tenon and the side of the mortise... Make your wedge from a piece of cedar shake/shims... fast, simple and most of the computation work is already done... also, kant the lead edges of the slots w. a file/rasp.. the wedge will slide in so much easier... Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162905 20 hours ago, Cliff said: not difficult at all but please DO NOT bring the piece to me for repairs some 20 years later when the glue fails. You wouldn't want to take have to that joint apart. There is no non destructive way to do it. How would you know this was the type of M&T this piece had until you were already "committed"? I am guessing that this joint does not get a dry fit (with wedges) before assembly... Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162914 37 minutes ago, Cal said: I am guessing that this joint does not get a dry fit (with wedges) before assembly... one shot deal... Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162915 32 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: I glued mine but me too... gotta love redundancy... Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162918 51 minutes ago, Stick486 said: me too... gotta love redundancy... I tell myself that over and, over again. Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162919 5 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: I tell myself that over and, over again. always liked redundantly meeting another member of the department of redundancy, redundantly.. Report
October 17, 20187 yr comment_162923 2 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Like wearing suspenders AND a belt. that's me... Report
October 17, 20187 yr Popular Post comment_162961 1 hour ago, Dadio said: As long as you wear underwear it is OK. Herb now ya tell me... Report
October 22, 20187 yr comment_163619 On 10/17/2018 at 6:57 AM, Cal said: How would you know this was the type of wood, Dunno bout the type of wood But I do know that these don't come apart easily even if the glue fails and they get sloppy. They still don't want to come apart. Sort of like that 40 & 50 year old Polish and Czechoslovakia furniture with M&T joinery but they considerately drove a nail through it and then hid the nail. And when you go to force it to re-glue the joint SURPRISE~!!! you gotta make new parts. Report
October 24, 20187 yr comment_163798 http://handcutjoints.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html I went snooping about what I thought this was called. I'll just leave this here. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.