Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Rate this topic

I went through 3 Delta switches on my lathe before I smartened up and went to Lowe's and bought a DPST household electrical switch. I was lucky because the mounting holes did match up. Been working fine ever since.

I think we all must lose some of those abilities. I used to have eyes in my finger tips. I could assemble/disassemble stuff in places that I could barely reach much less see. Came in real handy when working on Navy A-6 aircraft radar and computers. Now I can barely thread a nut and bolt while looking at it.

The switch on my Shopsmiths, which BTW, are lathes, also:D, are the toggle type. When the original switch on one failed after 40 years, I took it to an electrical supply house. They matched everything including the mounting screw positions. All, that is, except the type. I now have a double throw switch. So, I got 1/3 more action for the same bucks. :lol::D Makes me smile each time I use it.

As for fumbling, stumbling, dropping, and, losing...just another day in the shop, for me.:(

Edited by Gene Howe

My first lathe ,a Delta Midi, had a switch problem. I opened it up and the contacts melted together. I filed it and worked fine till it did it again. You know I have been dropping a few things lately, guess I just need to slow down ....some more B)

Ron, I realize you wanted to get up & running quickly, but something to consider down the road...since I live rural a trip to the county seat is 25+ mile round trip...and a minimum of an hour when going from one store to another; HD is only real big box...Since I'm always dabbling with old tools and the like, I keep a small inventory of some switches sold by Grizzly...the prices have gone up the past few years, but still very affordable compared to running to town.

They carry a number of very affordable switches and some magnetic which can be invaluable preventing automatic restart should the power be interrupted for any reason..

As for the dropping stuff...I used to have magnetic finger tips and if I did drop something, could locate it by sound if not by sight...now I'm lucky to hear the flashlight hit when I drop it trying to find what I dropped originally and end up crawling around trying to find the flashlight and getting my bi-focals focused to see:P The good thing though is why I'm down on the floor, I can hunt for other lost items as well as tie my shoes.:lol: Of course the next worry is, "can I get up from here?":blink:

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(switches)

8988; used on a small table & RAS                      D4163;common on many tools       D4160; used on my router table; my version is magnetic

image.png.b2468e294fbaecefaebe71b6ec3bba57.png                                          image.png.fc396cf2c20611155fd99683aaebf472.png                      image.png.5311c922697d245e935ed9cc7e1828a9.png                     

GrandpaDave, the HD is about a quarter mile away. I know more about what and where they stock thing than 75% of their help:D  I have also gotten some great bargains, when they want to move unselling stuff out, they really give it away. I have gotten flying insect spray for 1 cent per can. LED lights that sold on TV for $19.95 I got for $2.47, actually what they are worth:)

What I drop the most these days are hints!

A lot of what I drop winds up under my workbench.  I think I have a Gremlin under there that grabs my stuff.  I think I actually saw a hand once.  We have a surplus store here that has all kinds of stuff, mostly from the aircraft industry here.  When I get around to it, I am going to buy a sheet of 4" foam and cut strips to stuff under the edges of my bench so that my drops at least remain in view. 

9 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

I think I actually saw a hand once.

mouse traps....

3 minutes ago, Stick486 said:

mouse traps....

It wouldn't work, the gremlins are smarter than I am.

12 minutes ago, PostalTom said:

make sure there's a fuse on the next thing you drop....

2 hours ago, PostalTom said:

I think I have a Gremlin under there that grabs my stuff.  I think I actually saw a hand once. 

Must be colonies of them across the U.S. Pretty sure I've seen them too.;)

1 hour ago, PostalTom said:

Can't speak to that Tom, but I know for a fact, they are lots faster than I am.