October 17, 20178 yr comment_128332 Starting a new project a head shaped bookshelf made from red oak. The customer could not find anyone that would even consider doing this project for him. I got the design finalized and emailed the itemized bid to him and I was kind of hoping my bid would scare him into not doing the project but all he said was do you want half to start. This is the design he accepted. It will be about 3 1/2 feet wide, 5 1/2 feet tall and 11 1/2 inches deep. Report
October 17, 20178 yr Author comment_128334 I used my Aspire CNC software for design and to make the marking templates for the head shape. Report
October 17, 20178 yr comment_128348 WOW!!! can you go more into how you did the rim and it' fit up... Report
October 17, 20178 yr comment_128358 Now that is REALLY unique! By any chance, is the customer a psychiatrist? John Report
October 17, 20178 yr comment_128366 Really cool. You're headed down a different path with this one. Report
October 17, 20178 yr Popular Post comment_128370 16 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Really cool. You're headed down a different path with this one. John Report
October 18, 20178 yr comment_128452 Very Sweet! I hate it when you give a customer a number that you think will scare them out of the project only for them to say, when can you start. Report
October 18, 20178 yr Author comment_128528 I looked at using two 3/8" layers of bendable plywood but the minimum radius is listed as 12" so I would have to do a lot of modifications the the plywood and then I would have to come back and veneer the outside and inside and hardwood cap the face to cover the joint. I opted to use solid wood. I'll have to cut the head parts in pieces and also because my band saw is limited to a 6" cut i'll have to cut 2 of each part and glue them together. I started with a 8/4 x 12" x 11' red oak board. This was enough to get 16 of the 19 head part blanks from with out glue ups at this point. Had to stop and align the tables on a new Dewalt DW735 planer so that's one less thing on my to do list. Then I got 2 glue ups done for the remaining 3 shapes and a jig glued up to use on the band saw. At this point I had to stop and move a few things around the shop so I could get to the band saw (did I say I don't have room to move around in my shop). I was in the process of getting it setup again (had not been used in about a year) and got a call from one of my other customers that had problems with his CNC (bit buried in the material and the controller program locked up on him) had to drop everything and go to his shop. Got him back up and running and didn't get back home until about 8:00 PM. Report
October 18, 20178 yr comment_128533 yikes. lacking the software to lay that out, nor a CNC to do the templates, i'd also have to pass on that. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.