October 22, 20178 yr comment_128821 14 hours ago, BillyJack said: If there are many, it's cool. One spot and it's an error..... Perhaps in the eyes of many, but to my eye, it's very cool. Like Garry Knox Bennet's notorious "Nail in Cabinet". Gary built a drop dead gorgeous cabinet, and then on a whim, he slammed a 16 into it at the last moment. To many I guess this would look like trash. And perhaps it does, I admit it does take time to devour the symbolism involved in this act of defiance perpetrated upon a masterfully created piece of furniture. But upon further analysis of the artist, the time period he did this piece, and what was going on in the woodworking crafts movement at that time, it takes on a meaning that was and still is important to the craft and art. My opinion on Pat's gouges, I would let them be. This could be Pats "Nail in Cabinet" piece. If Pat is keeping it for himself, he then even has a story to tell. If he's building for a customer, they may not be as understanding, or free spirited to accept it as a beautiful mistake. I think it's a beautiful mistake, if it were mine, and if it were staying in my home, those marks would stay. Report
October 22, 20178 yr Author Popular Post comment_128826 14 hours ago, John Morris said: Am I the only one that actually thinks those gouges look really, really, really cool! Guys, turned it into a design feature. What do you think? Report
October 22, 20178 yr comment_128831 2 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said: Guys, turned it into a design feature. What do you think? Report
October 22, 20178 yr comment_128845 5 hours ago, John Morris said: Perhaps in the eyes of many, but to my eye, it's very cool. Like Garry Knox Bennet's notorious "Nail in Cabinet". Gary built a drop dead gorgeous cabinet, and then on a whim, he slammed a 16 into it at the last moment. To many I guess this would look like trash. And perhaps it does, I admit it does take time to devour the symbolism involved in this act of defiance perpetrated upon a masterfully created piece of furniture. But upon further analysis of the artist, the time period he did this piece, and what was going on in the woodworking crafts movement at that time, it takes on a meaning that was and still is important to the craft and art. My opinion on Pat's gouges, I would let them be. This could be Pats "Nail in Cabinet" piece. If Pat is keeping it for himself, he then even has a story to tell. If he's building for a customer, they may not be as understanding, or free spirited to accept it as a beautiful mistake. I think it's a beautiful mistake, if it were mine, and if it were staying in my home, those marks would stay. John, I agree with you on the indents in Pats project, But not in this one,Gerry Benet's, borders on a mental case reaction in my opinion. I refinished an old handmade Dresser, kind of like the one Steven Newman made recently that was made in the late 1800's out of oak that traveled from Pennsylvania to to Blaine,Washington in a covered wagon. When it was passed down to me it had 7 coats of paint on it different colors. I stripped it and refinished it natural , it had a lot of dings on it so I highlighted them with a black marker and finished it and it looked great, and old. Herb Report
October 22, 20178 yr comment_128856 3 hours ago, Dadio said: Gerry Benet's, borders on a mental case reaction in my opinion. It was indeed! Report
October 22, 20178 yr comment_128858 @BillyJack nailed it, he basically stated many of the gouges would like nice, and it does, I really like the way Pat saved that project by inflicting more pain on that top! It's looks great! Report
October 22, 20178 yr comment_128859 8 hours ago, Pat Meeuwissen said: Guys, turned it into a design feature. What do you think? Great save Pat!!!!!!!! Love it! Report
October 23, 20178 yr comment_128861 1 hour ago, John Morris said: It was indeed! Not you,John, Gerry Benet. Herb Report
October 23, 20178 yr comment_128862 34 minutes ago, Dadio said: Not you,John, Gerry Benet. Herb I know Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.