Blocklayer

Kerf Spacing Calculator for Bending Wood

Rate this topic

Wow!  Welcome aboard Blocklayer, that is quite a gift that you bring with your first post.

If it were up to me, I would excuse you from bringing donuts; but, alas - it is not.  Forum etiquette dictates the newbie brings 'em - lots of them...

Seriously good info though,

Cal

Welcome @Blocklayer to TPW...great to have you here...Ironic, I visited your site just a couple days ago. It was linked in a You-Tube video I watched re: building gambrel roof trusses. Most excellent information available there. Thanks.

However, it is the protocol all new members furnish donuts...Your turn is today...make mine chocolate iced, chocolate please...Hope to see more posts and sharing of your talents and knowledge here!

Welcome Greg, I'm still exploring some of your links that Dave posted the other day...

Glad you could join the fun...but, alas, you need to bring doughnuts to the party...but, since there are a bunch of doughnut hogs here, and I seem to be the one always late to the party, I'll settle for a piece of Deep Dish Apple pie...and since you brought your excellent calculators, I'll let you slide on the Vanilla ice cream.

Bill

On 10/10/2017 at 1:32 AM, Blocklayer said:

that's real interesting.  It is trying to give you a completely  closed kerf,  blades can't be under .1

I input to get a 6" radius and it only wanted 10 cuts.  if I wanted a more round-ish exterior I'd use more than that.

I thought I was missing depth of cut  but they  use the opposite  referring to the wood remaining after the kerf cut.  Min Thickness

Hey BlockLayer,

I am a new woodworker and also failed geometry student haha.  So it would be awesome if you had some sort of documentation explaining what all of the terms are for the calculator and mayube even a simple youtube tutorial walking through the process.  That would be awesome!  I cant find any information on how to really use it correctly!

37 minutes ago, lopickett said:

Hey BlockLayer,

I am a new woodworker and also failed geometry student haha.  So it would be awesome if you had some sort of documentation explaining what all of the terms are for the calculator and mayube even a simple youtube tutorial walking through the process.  That would be awesome!  I cant find any information on how to really use it correctly!

You can use the calculator in two different ways.

1. You can enter the values of your dimensions directly in the boxes (radius, angle, kerf, etc) on the left side of the page and then calculate. The board graphic will display what it will look like.

2. You can drag the blue sliders to change some of the dimensions to quickly see what the differences will be. 

As for term meanings-

Curve radius- half the diameter of the bend if it was bent around a circle

Sweep Angle- the angle formed between the starting a nd stopping point of the bend

Kerf- thickness of the saw blade

Wood thickness- how thick is the piece you are going to bend

Minimum thickness- how much wood is left between the outer edge and the wood removed by the saw blade.

A 72" diameter circle, 36" radius, 90° sweep angle-

Untitled.jpg.eaf9858299f5ff4f34f9b6b78b938197.jpg

Wow! Most of the original posters no longer frequent this site.  And, I missed this post all these years.  Thanks for reviving it.  I have a church window to rework and I need to know how to bend a 2" X 10" to fit back in.  It is holding a stained glass window made by a sister-in-law.  We don't want to loose any of it.  

27 minutes ago, lopickett said:

@lew Thank you so much for the info!  This is extremely helpful.  I probably would have spent a super long time figuring all of this out and would end up pretty frustrated hahaha.  You saved me a whole lot of time.

Not a problem! Hoping to see some of your woodworking projects posted.