August 30, 20179 yr Popular Post comment_122812 Started it this AM the wood is elm, damp but mostly dry so I'm going for finished dimensions. Report
August 30, 20179 yr comment_122815 I like it Cliff. Couple questions if I may. How did you come about the blank for that bowl. And, now that you've had that beautiful lathe for a couple years, how's it going? Report
August 30, 20179 yr comment_122816 That looks pretty good. What sort of finish are you going to put on it? Report
August 30, 20179 yr Author comment_122820 12 minutes ago, John Morris said: I like it Cliff. Couple questions if I may. How did you come about the blank for that bowl. And, now that you've had that beautiful lathe for a couple years, how's it going? Elm log chunk from a winter kill dead fall. I took a bunch of elm logs from it. Wrapped them in plastic with wet rags on the ends and stored them that way. Mold a little spalting here and there but no splitting. A while back I scored two 200 pounders from a guy who was cutting down a Chinese and American Sycamore. Stored them the same way - it's been almost a year. I opened one up the other day and Rough turned a huge bowl - 16" diameter from what I think is the Chinese. I set it to dry. The wood after a year of storage was so wet it slung water at me. I like the lathe. It's plenty sturdy. I can't compare it to anything else - haven't used any other full size lathes. But this one is great. Report
August 30, 20179 yr Author comment_122821 18 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said: What sort of finish are you going to put on it Dunno yet. It's not going to be a user so any finish will do. I'm kind of partial to BLO and GF pre Cat on Elm. The BLO needs a long dry time for a water based finish but I have become a big fan of water based. Report
August 30, 20179 yr comment_122822 Nicely done, Cliff. I'll bet the grain will POP when you hit it with finish! Report
August 31, 20179 yr comment_122854 Nice bowl. I use CA on the bark to keep it on . Just apply inside and outside to edge of bark after inside is partly hollowed. You may need to apply again as the cut progresses. Report
August 31, 20179 yr comment_122861 5 hours ago, Cliff said: Dunno yet. It's not going to be a user so any finish will do. Surely you're not going to eat Cheerios from that beauty are you? Can't wait to see it with the finish Cliff...Please bring us pics again then too. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.