Good Monday Morning Patriot Woodworkers! December 19, 2016

John Morris

Short and sweet here guys, got one leg under the keyboard and 1 foot out the door to work! So sorry, I had to wake up early and fry up some Empanadas for the boys at work, we take turns bringing in food the last two weeks up to Christmas. Got up around 3am and been frying since, and I'm running late!:lol:

So, what did you all get done over the weekend, and what have you planned for the week ahead?

Thank you folks for being here and thank you for calling us home!

Also, the big drawing is being held as I type, the raffle automated system is doing it's thing, we'll have some winners later this afternoon!

Take care ya'll and be safe in whatever you do!

need to buy some drawer knobs for my new bath vanity, then attach the drawer fronts to the drawers.  still need to build a sub-base for the vanity and paint that to match (white).  run some errands tomorrow and get a better set of zero protrusion hinges for the center door.

that's about it for the shop this week.  too cold to remove the old vanity and do the tile work under that, as well as the drywall work near the vanity.  so i'll enjoy hanging on the internet, reading some good books, trying to avoid eating too many cookies (made by my wonderful wife), and reflect on the glorious joys of Christmas.

Merry Christmas all.

Saturday was pretty much a wash once I realized our furnace was broke. Spent a good part of the day trying to find parts before giving up and ordering them. For the record, the parts arrived about a half hour ago and the furnace guy is on his way.  Yesterday, I did get in the shop and finished up a nice natural edge walnut bowl, just posted pictures in the turning forum.  Kind of wood working related, I also received an arduino in the mail this morning and plan to learn all I can about it as I have an idea(dangerous). In case you don't know what is an arduino, that's what controls many of the smaller hobbyist cnc machines. Once again, I gots lots of learnin' todo.

Steve

14 hours ago, John Morris said:

So, what did you all get done over the weekend, and what have you planned for the week ahead?

Mainly complained about the freezing rain, ice, snow & sub-zero temperatures...coldest December & coldest temps during December since 2004.

Shuttling my wife while her Jeep was in for heater core replacement and 2 new tires.

Kept the Blue-jays, Cardinals, Red-bellied & Downy Woodpeckers, Finches and several other bird species happy keeping their feeders filled and operable during the nasty weather; also provided a lap for the cat to nap on...^_^

Week ahead...back-forth to take stepdad to hospital, hopefully find some time to start (yes start:o) Christmas shopping, shuttle oldest grand-daughter to/from morning swim practice...

Get ready for Christmas!!:D

21 hours ago, DAB said:

need to buy some drawer knobs for my new bath vanity, then attach the drawer fronts to the drawers.  still need to build a sub-base for the vanity and paint that to match (white).  run some errands tomorrow and get a better set of zero protrusion hinges for the center door.

that's about it for the shop this week.  too cold to remove the old vanity and do the tile work under that, as well as the drywall work near the vanity.  so i'll enjoy hanging on the internet, reading some good books, trying to avoid eating too many cookies (made by my wonderful wife), and reflect on the glorious joys of Christmas.

Merry Christmas all.

Glad to see someone else doing woodworking that is practical in nature.  A lot of times, I just enjoy building things for my family to use and enjoy. Sounds like you and I both have the dame sort of practical outlook on woodworking.

20 hours ago, Steve Krumanaker said:

Saturday was pretty much a wash once I realized our furnace was broke. Spent a good part of the day trying to find parts before giving up and ordering them. For the record, the parts arrived about a half hour ago and the furnace guy is on his way.  Yesterday, I did get in the shop and finished up a nice natural edge walnut bowl, just posted pictures in the turning forum.  Kind of wood working related, I also received an arduino in the mail this morning and plan to learn all I can about it as I have an idea(dangerous). In case you don't know what is an arduino, that's what controls many of the smaller hobbyist cnc machines. Once again, I gots lots of learnin' todo.

Steve

I hate hot side repairs, love doing refrigeration and A/C work but dislike working on furnaces.

You have my sympathy.

2 hours ago, Miataguy said:

Glad to see someone else doing woodworking that is practical in nature.  A lot of times, I just enjoy building things for my family to use and enjoy. Sounds like you and I both have the dame sort of practical outlook on woodworking.

My constant goal for all projects is that they be useful and beautiful. I've only done one art project, it was one my wife wanted done. It hangs above the kitchen sink. If you want pure art, find an artist. I proudly wear the label "woodworker". It's an honest label. Not every project requires embellishment or complicated joinery

16 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

We spent most of November in the hospital. 

Steve, the old FlGatorwood

You have my infinite sympathy and I will remember you as the chips fly and shavings roll off of my bench. My younger son just lost one of his best friends from high school in a nasty head on collision, hospitals are never fun places to be.

Hope your wife gets better!

19 minutes ago, FlGatorwood said:

I'll apologize for not being here the last couple of months.  We spent most of November in the hospital.  Well, my wife was in for a week and got a pacemaker at the end of that week.  Did the follow ups with the various doctors.  She was re-admitted for another week in the middle of November.  So, we are behind, but do have the tree up and decorated.  Some gifts purchased, none made.  Boo-hoo. 

It is so great to see that others are able to get in their shops and make special gifts for family and friends.  May you be safe.  The hospital is never a good place to be, so please be careful in all that you do.

Steve, the old FlGatorwood

Happy to hear that both of you are out of the hospital and getting caught up.

I really hope 2017 will be better for you and your family