Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Stick486

Cleaning up after somebody else...

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Grandpadave52 said:

Really nice ice work...love the copper and the seam work! Did you solder or just crimp? Certainly added character to the house.

thanks...

modified locking double fold... sorta like a snap lock..

11 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

VERY nice work. Exceptional.

Love the copper and the iron corbels.

Did/do you need to redo all the windows?

thanks...

all 32 of them... the set above the bay were the most difficult...

46 minutes ago, DRAGON1 said:

nice job!!!! next time you might want to shine the copper up evenly so it ages and patinas evenly.

that was deliberately done w/ a torch and clear coated w/ Rexthane...

everybody has the green patina...

be different...

Edited by Stick486

this is where this started....

you saw earlier how the flashing was done which proved to be a water let and you can only guess what happened to the interior...

the fit and finish help w/ the water letting too...

also note the soil up/over the siding and at the basement window sill...

Addition Exterior 1-13-8.jpgpunchlst 004.jpgBefore 7.jpgBefore 2.JPG

Before 5.jpg

Stick, what a great job. I really loved the copper work too, I always have liked that look. Actually I really like the metal roof look as well for an entire home. The window work is superb.

As an aside question: Here on the west coast we don't really deal with any metal siding on our homes, you'll never really see it at all unless it's on an older home that was sided back in the 60's or 70's when out here, it was very popular, thanks to the "Tin Men" sales in the day.

Is the metal siding actually installed during new home construction, or is it still an after market installation once the homeowner gets tired of the original siding or look of the home?

12 minutes ago, John Morris said:

Is the metal siding actually installed during new home construction, or is it still an after market installation once the homeowner gets tired of the original siding or look of the home?

it's vinyl..

the house had to be stripped and the siding reinstalled...

what started it was the siding wasn't fully locked together and popping loose...

and the discoveries were found... (windows/doors were not flashed and so much more)

also the installers used pneumatic roofing nailers w/ 2'' nails...

lots of fixes.. ans in unreal many.l..

the nails were about 8~10'' apart so there were all kinds of piercings like outlet boxes, house electric panel, (7 hits) the SE cable, (2 hits) water lines, (27 or 28 hits) wiring/CAT cables, (lets just say many) DWV and etc...

you get the idea...

got a question for you John...

Ron edited this series which I had tagged ''Yesteryear xxxxx''..

those tags are now gone...

WHY???

doing that sure made it harder to find my post..

can you put the ''Yesteryear'' tag back in please...

Well, I am not very familiar with vinyl siding.  It looks like a wonderful job to me.  However, I have one question.  What keeps the water from running inside the top of the window.  I like watching Mike Holmes on DIY channel.  He is often explaining about how to keep out the water.  These windows appear to me that they would catch the water at the top and run it down the side which is where it would get inside the structure.  No plans on doing this, just trying to figure it out.  Thank you for helping me understand.

Steve in Pensacola, FL

I believe a "J" shape channel fits around the top and sides of the windows. The siding fits into the channel above the windows and along the sides to direct the water away.