Lifting lumber up 1+ story advice sought

Cliff

So the roofers are gone they did 4 roofs one of them a flat roof over my shop (they tore off  a recreational deck there to get  at the roof) and now I gotta rebuild the deck. 

The issue:  I gotta lift over a hundred 6 x10 boards up to the roof.

Plus I ain't 16 any more and I'm still recovering from back injury

I thought about a ladder elevator like roofer's use, but  don't really like it. Too fiddly with lumber.

I thought about building a huge tripod and using sheaves ( it's a contender)

I thought about renting a scissor type lift

Any ideas?

I don't think the rental place has one of these

s3-29416-mantttt.jpg

Edited by Ron Dudelston
tags added

you know anyone with a backhoe with a bucket on the front?   my neighbors have them and the one guy has a pair of forks that mount on the bucket, but even without that, i would think you could chain you wood to the bucket, lift it up, move it, go back and get more...and it's going to be a lot of work any way you do it.

I bet you could hire someone to carry them up for less than a rental for equipment.   Be very careful if you are not used to the equipment as the load coming down from 15' could be interesting.   Unless you have self leveling forks or bucket it can dump the load backwards on you.   Remember to spread them out somewhat so you don't overload the roof at one point.   Roly

Edited by Roly

The place I like to buy my dressed lumber from charges a nominal fee to make a home delivery.  $25 I think.  They use a hitchhiker forklift.  It might be that for the delivery charge they would deliver it to where it is needed.

Other than that, hire a couple guys for a couple hours.

Cal

20 minutes ago, Cliff said:

YAh it looks like a giant vertical  compound drawer slide with fold out legs,  forks for the load , and operated by a huge cable

crank

My missus arms are going to be  sore from all that turning  Maybe I'll have the grand kids over. Put 'em to work.

they have them in electric and air drives...

Remember the forks or platform has to clear the roof and any projections so you will need to reach out from the roof edge to retrieve them.   If you could use a little longer length on them you could just hand them up.    Another option is to slide them up on angled ladders or other boards but this would require at least two people on roof with ropes attached to lumber to pull up and one on ground to load and tie ropes on.  Roly

Agree with protection for roof edge.  With the 10' pieces I would think one person could stand in a pick up and be able to lift them high enough for another person on roof to take on up.  Do all 100 have to go up the same day ?   If you get one of the lifts make sure it is on a very stable base.   This will be a 10' wide load balanced on a 2' wide platform or a little wider with forks and you are almost directly under the load while cranking.   I'll bet a couple of teenagers will carry them all up for a $100 and be very happy to do it for that or less.   Roly