September 11, 201610 yr comment_73435 3 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Well, thanks John. I woulda done that but I run out of editing time. Ya well, what can I say, if ya can't figure it out in 3 hours, shoot Gene! poke poke, prod prod, laughing, smiling, Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73437 Done a few of those, except for the dowel joint. Tried a Mitered Dovetail awhile back... Methinks the Lap one would be a tad easier to do... The mitre part is a pain in the.... That first one he showed....as called a board stretcher. They can also be used to make a bridle type of joint. For when a post joins a header in the middle of a span. Report
September 11, 201610 yr Author comment_73438 Hey now. Respect your elders. I do....when I can find any. I knew Steve would find something familiar in the video. Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73439 You'll note the author of the video started with an old book of timber connections. I did some research on this when designing a gazebo a few years back, and I found quite a few of the old manuals FOR FREE. If you google "timber framing" or similar phrases, and click enough times, you will find a repository that google has collected, all of out-of-copyright documents. Quite a collection. I printed out selections for my project. However, I discovered that connections and joinery intended for 20x24 beams don't necessarily translate to smaller sizes, like 2x8! The grain size begins to predominate the mechanical attachment strengths in the smaller pieces. However, I did use stepped beam connections cut into 4/6 posts, etc. I just backed them up with 1/4" lags. It's nevertheless a very interesting discovery. I found out where "birds mouth" started. Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73442 11 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: Hey now. Respect your elders. I do more than you know my friend, more than know. My image may look like I am a fledgling, duckling, compared to many here, but I look 15 years younger than I actually am. I'll be half a century this November! I am already getting AARP solicitations, sheesh, when did they push up the Seasoned Citizen age to 50? Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73444 It was fun to watch. Not sure I'll ever have a use for those, but still fun! Report
September 11, 201610 yr Author comment_73445 50?? No, its hard to believe. Having seen your pictures of your beautiful bride, I'd say you robbed the cradle, then. BTW, I've got you by 25+ years, youngster. Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73447 18 minutes ago, Gene Howe said: 50?? No, its hard to believe. Having seen your pictures of your beautiful bride, I'd say you robbed the cradle, then. BTW, I've got you by 25+ years, youngster. I'll tell here that Gene, she'll be very flattered, actually we are only four years apart! Report
September 11, 201610 yr comment_73456 1 hour ago, John Morris said: I am already getting AARP solicitations, sheesh, when did they push up the Seasoned Citizen age to 50? I am younger than you John and I have been getting them for at least 3 or 4 years now. I put them in the trash or delete the emails without opening. Report
September 11, 201610 yr Author comment_73463 11 minutes ago, Chips N Dust said: I am younger than you John and I have been getting them for at least 3 or 4 years now. I put them in the trash or delete the emails without opening. Same here. Especially since that left wing outfit was/is such a strong proponent of obamacare. Report
November 23, 20196 yr comment_209882 You guys are good at getting us new guys spending money... Description: Carpentry and Joinery Illustrated by Hasluck, Paul N. , Item# 283611330284 Report
November 25, 20196 yr comment_210107 still in print https://www.amazon.com/Cabinetwork-Joinery-Comprising-Construction-Drawings/dp/1528702832?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=1528702832 Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.