Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
    6
  • comments
    17
  • views
    4,165

Part #5 Gluing, Drilling and Splitting

lew

1,670 views

Once everything was properly fitted, the case was disassembled and prepped for gluing. I had previously sanded all of the pieces to 150 grit- except the top and bottom. Those two were sanded to 220 grit due to the difficulty of sanding them in place. I taped the locations where the dovetails intersected- on the inside of the box- to help eliminate a lot of glue squeeze out cleanup. Assembled one end and two sides. Dropped in the top and bottom. Then glued in the last end piece. Some clamps, checked for square then set it aside for a day-

glue_up.thumb.JPG.a2273b73a83ccdabe8c013

glue_up_1.thumb.JPG.a5f2d8f1afaaac967bd0

Next up, was fixing the dovetail error. I went back and forth between matching or contrasting dowel pins. Finally settled on walnut. My first idea was to create dowels, that when installed, had the flat grain exposed. This would make them almost invisible.

discarded_dowel.thumb.JPG.af88f28b4bd7ea

However, my goal was also to increase the strength of the joint. With the grain running across the dowel diameter, the dowel could be easily snapped in half. Back to the lathe-

walnut_dowel_(2).thumb.JPG.25da9bf11ccbe

Grain running lengthwise.

Drilling the corner holes was done on the drill press.

dowel_drill.thumb.JPG.7093a72acafdb2d7c9

dowl_drill_2.thumb.JPG.fafd98d6ac77db637

My drill press table sets slightly off center. This presented a little bit of an problem when drilling two of the holes.

dowl_drill_3.thumb.JPG.59e0a53267a277914

The case extended quite a bit off of the side of the drill table and needed to have additional support. I used to have a shop made adjustable support just for this purpose- but I never used it. NOTE TO SELF- Don't throw anything away!

Dowels were then glued into place and trimmed with a flush trim saw. Sanding all of the dovetails flush and the case was ready to be split.

Using the table saw and a really thin blade- actually the blade off of my miter saw- I made a cut around the outside of the box.

split_box.thumb.JPG.d3f488c2965035b22a3e

The saw cut did not completely separate the top and bottom. I left a little bit of material to hold the two pieces together throughout the cut.

split_kerf.thumb.JPG.179e8753a0e67a6e37a

To complete the separation, carefully cut through the material with a sharp utility knife-

separate_box.thumb.JPG.c3744967eded4e91c

The completed cut-

surgery_complete.thumb.JPG.b91761f98cc09

 

surgery_complete_1.thumb.JPG.df9446c0f32

Finally, sand the excess material left in the cut (I don't trust myself with the hand plane). The blue tape on the inside corners needs to be removed. That really facilitates cleaning any glue squeeze out.

When the hardware and liner gets here, we'll continue. I'm not sure what my friend has picked for hinges/latches or what kind of finish- just hope he doesn't want latex paint!

 

 

 

 

 




1 Comment


Recommended Comments

Looks great Lew. I think the walnut dowel was a great choice, the end grain of the dowel will darken up nearly darkest brown close to black. I like dark contrast accent pieces on lighter primary wood used for the project. Great choice.

Share this comment


Link to comment
Guest
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...