Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'stockings'.
I've been working on a present for my son and his family. We've all seen the clothes trees we put in the corner of our bedroom, on which we can hang a robe, belt, etc. This is modeled after that concept, except that my stocking tree will look like what I just described, but had it's growth stunted. It will be only about 4 feet tall, give or take a couple of inches. It is being made in three sections. A base, a bottom section that will be joined to the base with a tenon, and a top section, joined also to the bottom section with a tenon. The top of the top section will have a finial. At least, that is the plan if I can get everything done right. This is the base. The legs are joined by half laps, or is that just a lap joint? Most half laps I have seen are only connected on the ends, like a frame. This is a shot of the bottom section, shortly after I started working on it. The holes are for pegs to be glued in later, on which to hang the stockings. I am putting in more pegs than will be needed for stockings, in case they want to decorate it. On the other end is the tenon, and a mounting block for the headstock on my lathe. The mounting block will be cut away later. This is shot #2 of the bottom section. Better shot of the peg holes. The square section on this end will remain, and I will drill a 1" hole in the center of the block to accept the tenon from the top section. Once everything is glued together, I will work down those connections so that they look better. Shot #3 of the bottom section. More peg holes, and some coves and beads. I obviously need more practice on coves and beads, but they actually came out better than I expected. BTW, I just purchased a 1/2" spindle gouge from Carter and Son Toolworks. I am using both traditional and EWT tools (a little redundancy there, sorry about that) on this project, trying to learn as I build. Top section. Just started it today. Tenon on the left, mounting block to be cut off, and another set of peg holes. The blank section on the right, which will be the "top of the top", will have a finial turned into it. I am hoping to put a couple of beads in between the two sets of holes, but I don't know if I have enough room to do that without every thing looking too busy. A cove will go in the area below the holes and the tenon area. This project is being made from 3" square hard maple billets which I purchased from Woodpeckers when they ran a sale on them. I am finding out why this wood is named HARD maple, but that is a different story. Suffice it to say, when I tried to rip one of those pieces on my table saw, I would up having to repair my saw.