Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'hat'.
Found 3 results
There is a first time for everything they say. Today, for me, that "first time thing" was turning a cowboy hat. About six hours from mounting the blank to putting it in the bending jig. I could never have turned this without the guidance, the encouragement, the tutelage, and did I mention the encouragement? Of my good friend and mentor, Bob Lipp, who is Vice President of our local wood turning club. We started with a bradford pear blank, about 20" diameter and 8" thick or so. The first thing he told me to do was to true it up for a tenon and then he showed me how to shape the outside. I did all the cuts but it was his express instructions that allowed me to do them. After the shaping is all done on the outside it's time to form the brim. The red dots are led lights shining through from the other side. The brim is about as thick as a credit card. After the brim is completed the hollowing is done for the rest of the hat. It also ends up being about the thickness of a credit card, although I think mine may be a little thicker. After the turning is done the hat is put in a bending jig. I'm excited to see how this bends and looking forward to trying on my own.
I have been working at clearing out some of my old wood that was too good to toss but not able to build much else with it. The wood is Madron that I have had for a number of years on the side of my house. It was wood that had originally been air dried as opposed to kiln dried so it got some beetles in them that have left a number of holes and tunnels in. The Madron wood has some really great grain which really needed to be shown off. So I cut up the wood and made a few Coat/Hat racks with the larger pieces and some Necklace/Key racks to sell to help with our travel expenses for our Midwest trip in July. The hardware on the Coat/Hat racks are from Hobby Lobby and I have some D-rings on the back 16" apart to hang on studs as they will hold more weight. The Necklace/Key racks have those alligator clips to hang on screws since they are light weight and some 3/4" cup hooks from Home Depot. With the exception of the 2 darker stained Necklace/Key racks (which I used a darker stain on) the finish for all the pieces was done using Watco Danish Oil in Natural Color to bring out the grain and then a "Wipe On Poly" for the top coat. Not a difficult project but it did take me some time in between dealing with normal day-today stuff going on around the house.