SketchUp - Free Webinar (Live Tutorial)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty familiar with Trimble as well....I'm in mining and we use lots of Trimble stuff to survey in drill holes and the like

John Morris said:

You got to be kidding! This is too much Paul, the reason why this strikes me as funny and insanely monopolistic if there is such a word, I am a land surveyor, and Trimble is a premier land surveying equipment and software retailer for the surveying world. And they have been buying up companies that used to be really good, and were competitors of Trimbles own software, they shelf the product after a year or so, then they stop supporting it, and they let the product die on the vine, this acquisition if it's true, truly bothers me, as Trimble is not friend to stuff for "Free" or shareware. They have a proven track record of buying, and letting it die.

Paul Corona said:

John,

I had an old link in my favorites that says Google SketchUp, I didn't notice when I clicked on it but it just says http://www.sketchup.com/ in the browser window now.

I hope it doesn't go the way of Plymouth, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, DeSoto, Studebaker....etc.

Larry

ning-oldmansmiley-16272-42.gifOld Woodworking Machinery Forum Host
John Morris said:

What link did you use Larry to download it? I keep getting this link called Trimble Sketchup when I search for it.

Larry Buskirk said:

John Morris
The Patriot Woodworker
Proud Supporter of Homes For Our Troops and Wounded Warriors Project

Pat,

My apologies if I have missed you. I will be having another very shortly. Perhaps within the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned for dates. 

Pat Meeuwissen said:

I'm wondering did I miss the free webinar?? I requested to be included but never heard anything further. Thanks Pat

If it doesn't spark it doesn't concern me!!!

• 2 months later...

I've tried it and it really isn't too much different. They did change the look of some of the icons (orbit is the one I saw). I did notice that the free download is actually the Pro version with a "time out" provision. I'm hoping it reverts to the free "Make" version at expiration.

Paul Corona said:

so where is everyone with the "upgrade" to Sketch Make...I read that tons of folks are staying with version 8

from what I've read Lew, it does revert to the freebie version after....maybe 30 days? And your comments are in line with what I've read.....

Lewis Kauffman said:

I've tried it and it really isn't too much different. They did change the look of some of the icons (orbit is the one I saw). I did notice that the free download is actually the Pro version with a "time out" provision. I'm hoping it reverts to the free "Make" version at expiration.

Paul Corona said:

Lew Kauffman-
Wood Turners Forum Host

Time traveler. Purveyor of the world's finest custom rolling pins!

I did notice if you do a "default" install, it creates a different directory than previous "Google Sketchup" installs. I had to move all my Ruby Scripts and add-ons to the new directory. They all seemed to work OK- at least those that I've had the chance to try.

Paul Corona said:

from what I've read Lew, it does revert to the freebie version after....maybe 30 days? And your comments are in line with what I've read.....

Lewis Kauffman said:

Archived