Domino-ish?

Bored this morning, so I drew up a quick template pattern that could be used with a 5/8" diameter bushing in a plunge router base.

Use a 3/16 upcut spiral router bit and three 1/4" deep step passes for a 3/4" deep domino slot.  I've got some 6mm acrylic this can be cut from, or I could use some 6mm baltic birch plywood.  Slots in the ends are for screws to hold wood edge guides.  Render is from my CNC software (Aspire from Vectric.com).  This template could also be made using a router table for the most part.  The center hole may need a little time on a vertical drum sander as I doubt there is a router bit or a forstner bit exactly the right size. 

4D

Domine slot template.jpg

Edited by 4DThinker

Using a plunge base with a handheld router, set into the template, the bit only projects into the wood while cutting the slot.  The template would be clamped securely to the edge of the board you wanted the slots in.  Your hand would be on the handles of the router. No more dangerous than using a handheld router for, well, anything.  

4D

I went ahead and cut out the template. 

446562021_Routerinplungebasewithbushing.jpg.a05e91fa8ea1a28b83ac3b6b6f3d5471.jpg

63909677_Slotcut2.jpg.1e0f1e5f9d695dd09e53118baf0910ef.jpg

1215700679_dominoinplace2.jpg.5ed7b15e0be67170fc7364f1f4d36c25.jpg

Steps  1/4" each until the bottom.  The 20x40mm floating tenon needs just a little deeper hole than 3/4" to be half way in. Although this was just a test cut, now that I have the jig set up for the material and the router set up for the slot cut making several more along any edge of the same material would be quick and easy. Just unclamping, moving to the next place, then clamping it down again.   Next job if the material is a little different thickness add a step to adjust the jig to the new thickness by loosening the screws.  Same as having to adjust the fence of the Domino machine. 

4D

4D

• 1 month later...

I saw that video too.  Better than the fan he originally got for his money. Wondering if there is a cordless trim router that would work with it.  Lacks a fence you can adjust the angle of but wondering how hard that would be to come up with.  Shouldn't be too hard to make a fixed one that is 45 degrees from the backplate and screws into the same mounting holes. 

4D 

We're I still needing to build panels for tables etc., this would get serious consideration. I still like to run a groove with the table saw in the panels mating edges and insert a strip of Masonite. Way cheaper and it aligns the panels just as well. I don't consider domino's or biscuits to be structural components, anyway.

32 minutes ago, Fred W. Hargis Jr said:

That's certainly a clever gadget, and it might catch fire given the low(er) cost. Still bugs me that most folks are referring to the tenons as dominoes.

Well, except for his shop-made ones, he was using Domino tenons.   Still too pricy for me for non-production use.

27 minutes ago, Gene Howe said:

We're I still needing to build panels for tables etc., this would get serious consideration. I still like to run a groove with the table saw in the panels mating edges and insert a strip of Masonite. Way cheaper and it aligns the panels just as well. I don't consider domino's or biscuits to be structural components, anyway.

A Domino is simply a floating tenon and should be as strong as a standard tenon.  While Masonite would align, it would reduce the glue line and since it has comparatively little strength, probably reduces the joint strength.

I was really sold on biscuits when I first used them on a tall bookcase.  After original glue up, it was stiff, unlike dado joinery that I'd used and that needed a back panel to stiffen.  I've probably made in excess of 50 bookcases and numerous other projects using them and have had 0 failures after up to 30 years of use.

53 minutes ago, kmealy said:

Well, except for his shop-made ones, he was using Domino tenons.   Still too pricy for me for non-production use.

I guess I think they're Festool tenons....I consider Domino the mortiser. Regardless, still bugs me.

1 hour ago, Gene Howe said:

I don't consider domino's or biscuits to be structural components, anyway.

Gene, not arguing with you...or even trying to change your mind. But when I had the shop finished I was in a hurry to get my tools in there and still didn't have my stationary stuff set up. So I built some "quickie" shelves; so quick the top and bottom shelf was butt jointed to the sides with 4 biscuits and glue on each end (this is plywood) My intention was to do something nicer later which never happened. Those shelves are still there. In the pic the one with the routers is holding about 45# and shows no sign of falling apart. Someday I'll do something nicer, maybe.

shelf.JPG

Edited by Fred W. Hargis Jr

4 hours ago, kmealy said:

There is another make of similar floating tenons out there that sells them in different quantities.  TayTools I think. Same sizes, just a  different manufacturer who doesn't mark them up as much as FesTool.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=taytools+floating+tenons&crid=34PUX3TL83MZ6&sprefix=taytools+floating+tenons%2Caps%2C209&ref=nb_sb_noss

4D

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, a few years ago the club had its annual seminar with Glen Huey (formerly of Pop Woodworking, now "The Donut Dude").   He cut mortises with an intermediate sized DeWalt plunge router and a few markings.    If you want, you can pay $3.99 to watch it, or just see for free 

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=10154634729396433