For those who use Sketchup Make

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone know if I can have both the 2017 version and the latest version on the same computer?  I have a friend who wants some help learning Sketchup.  I currently have the 2017 version on my laptop and I do not want to loose it.

2nd question:  Using the latest version, is there a way to store files on the hard drive and not use the cloud?

Thanks   Danl

1 hour ago, Danl said:

Does anyone know if I can have both the 2017 version and the latest version on the same computer?  I have a friend who wants some help learning Sketchup.  I currently have the 2017 version on my laptop and I do not want to loose it.

2nd question:  Using the latest version, is there a way to store files on the hard drive and not use the cloud?

Thanks   Danl

Danl, 

The current free version of Sketchup- "Sketchup Free" is designed to be cloud based. Let me do some research to see if models can be saved locally.

As for Sketchup Make (Sketchup 2017), You should be able to use the cloud based version and keep "Make" on your PC.

I'll try to get you an answer today.

7 hours ago, lew said:

Danl, 

The current free version of Sketchup- "Sketchup Free" is designed to be cloud based. Let me do some research to see if models can be saved locally.

As for Sketchup Make (Sketchup 2017), You should be able to use the cloud based version and keep "Make" on your PC.

I was able to create a project and download it to my desktop. Using:

WWW.SKETCHUP.COM

Meet SketchUp Free: online 3D design software that lets you dive in and get creating without downloading a thing. The best part: it's free.

8 hours ago, lew said:

Danl, 

@Danl

Got this back from the Sketchup Community.

I asked:

1. Can models created in Sketchup Free (web based) be saved on the local computer?

Ans- Yes. You “download” the model

2. Can Sketchup Free (web based) be run on the same computer as other versions of Sketchup (Make, Shop, Pro) without a conflict. Will not be running both at the same time.

Ans- Yes, but if you are logged into SketchUp with the account that has the Pro or Go (new name for Shop) license assigned to it, the online version opens as Go (same as Shop).