Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Dear folks, help us raise funding for our community directly. And in the process you'll have a chance to win some terrific tools donated by our sponsors!  Read More...

KevTN

Project finish

Rate this topic

Good morning. I still have a ways to go but as my latest project moves forward I am thinking of finish. My daughter plays D1 softball and has a wooden bat that has some sayings she likes on it. So I jointed some Purple Heart together, my neighbor is a professional artist and will be painting her schools logo and mascot on it with oil paint. I am going sand to 120 thinking this would be smooth to the touch but also allow the paint something to ‘grab’ onto. 

with this in mind would a simple poly be the best final finish? I really would like to keep the sheen down. Thoughts? 

thanks

Oil-based finishes, including poly, are likely to amber too much and ruin the paint's hue.

Lacquer has some aggressive solvents that could damage the oil paint underneath.

Water-based acrylic is generally the clearest.   Since you are applying over oil paint, give the paint a good amount of time to dry first. That would be my choice.

Cardinal rule : test on some scrap first.

9 hours ago, kmealy said:

Oil-based finishes, including poly, are likely to amber too much and ruin the paint's hue.

Lacquer has some aggressive solvents that could damage the oil paint underneath.

Water-based acrylic is generally the clearest.   Since you are applying over oil paint, give the paint a good amount of time to dry first. That would be my choice.

Cardinal rule : test on some scrap first.

Thank you for the information.